First real taste of fall, are you all burning now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jpl1nh

Minister of Fire
Jan 25, 2007
Newfields NH
Tonight's the coldest yet here in the Northeast. I'm pleased to say that my Keystone's damped way down, dog's are snoozing on their blanket in the warm spot in front, cat's been glowin enough to make Cath worried, stove top at 550, (house seems too warm at 71!) and I ain't even usin my good stuff, just elm and white birch plus asstd junk. Patriots seem unstoppable, Red Sox ready to Rock! How's the rest of you in northern quarter of US doin?

not real cold here yet but i'm burning my new stove. trying to learn how the in and outs of the stove... probably be asking some questions in the near future about it.

Yepper, here ya go . . I finally got my act together and got a pic uploaded of the Hampton

Attachments

• FirstBurn070001.JPG
    FirstBurn070001.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 586
Ive got windows open, it's 45 outside and 85 inside. I also picked up my first truck load of free maple today and got it split.

Not yet... it was about 60 here today, I used some passive solar to get the house up to 76 degrees, and then lowered the insulation blinds over all the windows. It should carry me through a good portion of the night... its about 74 in here now, sun's been down for almost 3 hours. Probably won't start burning until it the daily highs are in the low 40s.

-- Mike

Started one at 8:30 am to take edge off. Got house to 77 during the day. Fire went out. Re-started it at 8PM. House still 73, but outside temp going down to 36 so I'll need it before morning. Also using my junk wood right now. Cut offs, wierd unsplittable shapes, soft-wood that's so dry a large split doesn't even weigh a pound, etc. I've got no experience at this time of year as I didn't start burning last year, my first, until after Thanksgiving. We'll have to see how it goes.

Eric

Burning in NH. It's 39 right now and I won't turn on the furnace.....

Just started the fire about 15-20 minutes ago when we got home. We're up about 3 degrees so far to 63. Outside we're looking at 39 on our way to 31 or so.

We're burning the odd cut offs 'cause I stored them where I want to blow snow later this year.

Matt

I've been burning on and off as needed. It doesn't take much firewood on these fall nights to take the chill off. A single full load fire in the evenings and it keeps the house above 70 til the next evening. I don't see how some people can stand their house 75-85, and have to open windows. I hate to waste wood like that and maybe take a chance on running out later this winter. I won't start 24/7 burning til the high temps dip below the 45 degree mark.

here on the left coast I'm also breaking in my new Homestead - getting up to speed on a soapstone. Had one or two fires with the good stuff but mostly the softer woods. Looking at a pretty good burn going right now.

churchie said:
Yepper, here ya go . . I finally got my act together and got a pic uploaded of the Hampton
Very nice!

Out west here It's supposed to get down to 25 tonight. So I've been kickin the pellet unit on every night.

GO COLORADO!!!!

Todd said:
I've been burning on and off as needed. It doesn't take much firewood on these fall nights to take the chill off. A single full load fire in the evenings and it keeps the house above 70 til the next evening. I don't see how some people can stand their house 75-85, and have to open windows. I hate to waste wood like that and maybe take a chance on running out later this winter. I won't start 24/7 burning til the high temps dip below the 45 degree mark.
If I'm lying around watching TV, 73-74 is all it takes. If I'm up and active, 69-71 is just fine. I agree, wouldn't want to waste the wood for 75-80 and opening windows.

46 right now here in the middle of the Right Coast and the 30 is just coming up to temp. Supposed to have our first freeze tonight so I will let it burn down the three big splits and figure the place will hold the heat till morning. If not, lock and load at coffee time.

jpl1nh said:
How's the rest of you in northern quarter of US doin?

So its keep the Canadians out is it. Ya probably figure were all huddled in our igloos by now and been burnin since mid June.
Well your close.... ;-P

I hope so!

Canada is one of my fav spots to ride the snowmobile!

Waiting for winter to really hit so I can use that expensive toy that's sitting on the shop floor.

Supposed to snow next week here....

got mine going tonight. supposed to get to 30 tonight in Illinois, loaded with "fuel" and heading to bed.

Woodstock Fireview
Stihl MS210
Maul and Wedge

Churchie, your stove looks awesome. I think the Hampton in regular black is my favorite looking insert right now.

I burned Friday night which was a good call but then again Saturday morning which was a dumb move because it got so warm out we roasted inside. The draft also got lazy giving a bit of a smoke smell inside to boot.

Just got home late tonight and its 40 out. I should fire it up but I'm heading to bed. My wife is staying home with our sick daughter tomorrow so I got her plenty of wood inside to burn all day if she wants.

Mine is ready to light...but it's 68 outside and 82 in the house...:(

Burning now. Low tonight expected to be 33F.

Just started. Enough of an edge when in the 30s to run on. Toasty toasty toasty.

What a day this was!!! Up at 6 am , on hearth.com from 8am to 12 noon & out to work, breaking up20 of the 120 pallets that were dropped off here thurs. tiring work, 4 bangs with the sledge per board. I shouldn,t say bangs, at my age, i meerly position the hammer over the board and let gravity do the work.shopping at 3 pm,back @ 4 & my bud's over to help finish the log splitter shed, until 9pm , then take tools in until10pm & i notice its a bit nippy out for ct. @this time of yr.Pick out 2 bucketts of pallet boards for fire wood & inhouse at 11pm lay a small fire, going good by 12 , starting to feel nippy in house at 2 am . whats up with this?

So,i go refresh the fire with 4 splits & figure I can finally take it easy. Well,tough turkey. Not going to happen. go online & come here ,start reading this post & realize it could go down below freezing tonight! out 2 front pourch, thermo reads 32 deg, no wonder it was a bit nippy in the house.run down the basement, turn off the water to the car wash hose & outside 2 drain the hose and open the valve. Then over 2 my other house to turn on the oil burner switch & set the thermo & test fire the oil burner for the first time this season. Back home,reload the stove, this time 3/4 full. Now its toasty in the house, 92 in the basement 72 on the first floor and 64 on the second floor.

Of course, today had to be the day my pellet stove clinkered out on me, so I will have to clean out the ash trap under the fire cup before I can relite the pellet stove; but ,i think i let that wait 4 tomorrow morning , because its 3:40 am & i think i worked hard enough today to deserve to eat supper.

Some how , I doubt I be up much before 1 pm tomorrow. Just in time for it 2 warm up outside so I can finish the log splitter shed roof. Tues we build & install the front door, 8 ft x 8 ft hinged at the roof. with lock down poles so it will open up and act as a sun shade or rain shed, should i ever find myself splitting logs in the rain. who knows, could happen.

hecktic, yes....boring,not 2 me ,today wasnt.

Now that I am retired, I find myself working twice as hard, for free, than when i used to get paid for it.Ironic? you betcha!

We had frost this morning, thermometer said 34. First overnight burn of the season. Burning red maple until I get down to whatever is buried beneath it. Fireplace room is 73-75, rest of house is 68-71. Perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.