First real taste of fall, are you all burning now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Been burning mostly small fires at night here in Fenton Mi. I'm burning off all my maple and saving the oak/hickory for the cold stuff.

BTW, I just got my annual 200gal min order of propane...$2.01/gal on the "friends and family plan". The lady said if you are not locked in or on such a plan the going rate is $3.24/gal.!!!!!!!!!!. I don't know how people do it that don't burn wood or coal.

Here on the Illinois/Cheeseland border I've been burning a single load a night for about a week. Like everyone else, just burning the odds and ends. Trying to get a handle on stovetop and flue temps before the 24/7 stuff starts. If I concentrate on my wood burning I may forget how lousy my Bears are doing this year!!

First overnight for me last night, got down to 33 in Northwest NJ. I fired the quad up at 730 last night, 3/4 load for an overnight around 11pm, checked on it at 5am, family room was 78 and still had partial logs and tons of hot coals. tossed in a couple of splits to keep it warm through 9am. repeat tonight.

I have had a couple fires, nothing substantial.
The Dogus sure is excited about burning!
Now if I could get her to split the wood and be more of the process then just sitting in front of it watching it glow!

we have had quite a few fires..When I got back from a good soaking rain in the woods I lit the fire. Sunday I kept it going all day..Not really filling it up but dont really need to yet

Yes, had a fire over the weekend; tonight, predicted to be in the mid 30's - low 40's here in N. GA.
Feels pretty good.

SG

Just evening 'take the chill off' fires the last couple days. House is still pretty warm in the morning with all the insulation and the new roof.

54 this afternoon but headed to high to mid-twenties tonight so I just lit'er up. Had our first freeze last night and the three split pine burn I fired off at nine o'clock had us at 69 in the house this morning and a shot of pine leveled the place out nicely.

My house still needs windows and some insulating fixes, however I'm still only burning in the mornings and then letting it go out by early afternoon.

Couple more weeks and I think I'll be up to burning 24/7.

All right I caved. First bag of pellets burning
as I type. Peer pressure is a biatch. :cheese:

Guess I made a good call to fire her up tonight.
Outdoor thermometer reads 32F right now (10:30 pm).

toastin.jpg

north of 60 said:
jpl1nh said:
How's the rest of you in northern quarter of US doin?

So its keep the Canadians out is it. Ya probably figure were all huddled in our igloos by now and been burnin since mid June.
Well your close.... ;-P
:red: sorry..it's all about us you know %-P

fired up the pellet stove for overnight burn last night , house at 66 F this morning , which is perfect for me, got ready for work cranked the stove up to higher heat range for the wife, she likes it warmer than i do, all in all , the pellet stove allows me so much more flexability, but the woodstove is just a super cedar away!!

Off and on during the evening the last couple weeks. Beyond that last night was the first time I let her idle all night long. As long as its 60 F in the back rooms its fine by me. We put an electric blanket under the mattress pad and leave it on low low low and that makes it all good if it goes down to 55. The cats all approve too and pile on. Lately though they tend to sometimes stay in the living room parked in front of the stove. Stove shuts off and in they come a running. We had our first few flurries yesterday afternoon so it seems the season is on.

First fire of the season tonight. Got home at 6:30 and the thermostat said 68 (I think the wife cheated and had the heat on). Oak is in the stove house is up to 79F and the temp outstide is down to 41F. I'll throw some pieces in before bed and let it burn out overnight. :coolsmile:

About the 5th fire so far. Burning all the ugly and junk wood. Need to make some room for 2008 & 2009 HH. Will start on the overnight burns soon. Probably mid to late november, except on weekends, I may try a few 24/7 test runs.

First Fire of the season. stove temp still is only at 300 and the damper half open. it's climbing slowly. a nice bit of fheat coming out of it though. Cann't wait till the new damper arrives and I can fire off the cats properly. Temp outsideis 39. Freeze warning in effect tonight. Gonna be a couple more nights this week that I might get to burn. damnb that fire isi beautiful.I really love this old stove.

ran 6 fires last night,30 deg out. made a mistake on the first 2 by only running 1/3 & 1/2 loads,
not enough to really heat the house plus the house mass itself was cold because I was outside working all day with no fire. so the last 4 were full loads & that finally got the entire house up to 74 . the last fire I refreshed at 6am probably burned out around 8 am, but i was fast asleep until 4pm. woke up to a 68deg house & lit my first fire today at 9pm,refreshed at 11 and 1.
34 out,73 in ,basement 99 deg stack temp400
I heat 3000sqft with a basement wood stove and the basement acts like a giant heat resivoir.
the stove can be dead for 2 hours & house temp wont drop. basement has 2 drop to 70 before the house will drop to 68.

ate 10-6 gal plastic buckets full of wood last nite and 4 so far tonight. I still have 6 full buckets ,but tomorrow i will hwve to reload. Just burning splits 2 keep a hot fire so as not 2 produce any smoke to bother neighbors.

The info here has sure helped me start fires faster,get then hot qiucker, have them smoke 50%
less & generally helped with my wood processing from tree to splits.They whole thing is still evolving & being improved on almost a weekly basis.

I will probably start looking for a more efficient wood stove /furnace over the winter and maybe install next summer.

Meanwhile, thanks to hearth.com im burning hotter & with way less smoke that last year.

results of first overnight fire this year:

8 year old wakes up and asks his mother what shes cooking in the oven. she replies, nothing. he then inquires why its so hot in the house.

30 mins later he goes out the front door to the bus with no jacket, returns seconds later complaining how cold it is. outside temp 33 degrees.

We started to burn the moment we had the chimney cleaned for the year, 10/9. We havent done a whole lot of burning this past week with temps in the 60s here. We got a bit overheated a few times with the house up to 79F but if we don't use the blower it keeps the house at a comfy 73f.

Here is my fire that I have going today....it's sooooo cozy.

Attachments

• Fireplace.jpg
    Fireplace.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 159
I'm JEALOUS.... I've finally got my two stoves installed - the Encore upstairs, and the smoke dragon that was upstairs into it's new home in the basement (where it probably won't see much use, but...) However I have to wait until Monday to get inspected :long:

In the meantime I've been having to listen to the furnace making horrible noises - hate the sound of burning gas...

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.