First real test of new insert...mixed results

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nola mike

Minister of Fire
Sep 13, 2010
Richmond/Montross, Virginia
So we had our first cold days in VA, with daytime temps around freezing, nighttime in the 20's. The insert is in my second home, which we keep at 42' when not there. So we got there with temps at 42'. Fired up the stove at about 3pm, inside temps in the upper 50's by 7 or so. Worried about overnight, so kicked on the heat pump + wood and were up to 65' by bedtime. Full load at 11pm, woke at 3am or so with house temps at 59. Yikes. Reloaded, and the heat pump eventually kicked on to keep the temps at 58'. Same thing the next night, with the insert requiring reloading every 2-3 hours in order to put out any serious heat. A real pain overnight, though was able to keep house temps at 60' through the night without use of the heat pump. So, it was a huge pain, but it seems the wood is barely able to keep up in about the coldest weather we get here. Heat pump last year ran constantly and struggled as well in this cold. + had a $350 power bill one month, when we were there for maybe 5-7 days. Lessons learned:

1. Don't fully stuff the firebox unless you have a real hot bed of coals. Did this the first night, and it took forever to get it back up to temp.
2. Use good wood. Yeah, I know. I feel like I had 1 1/2 hands tied behind my back, as I had nothing but semi-dry pine. I think some good stuff will improve the situation immensely.
3. Gotta try and cut down more on air leaks by next year. House was built as a summer house. I insulated the attic over the summer, and installed air-tight can light trims, but the walls are cinder block without insulation (except for underneath the siding), and the floors are completely uninsulated. Not sure how much this heat this lets out. Windows are new though. That 6' drop in a couple of hours (with a fire going at least part of the time) seems excessive.

That's about what I would expect from a small firebox loaded with pine. It's going to burn up quickly. Next time, bring a trunkload of dry hardwood and I think you will see a nice difference in burn times. Still, it takes a big stove to bring the place up from 42 rapidly. Run the heat pump at the same time as the stove and just consider the insert as an auxiliary heater.

Pine is the short burn culprit for sure.

Remember that you are heating cubic feet, not square feet when you are heating the house. Plus you have to bring up the temps of everything from the couch to the kitchen sink. It will take a LONG time to bring temps up from that low.

Button up the house and burn some good sesoned hardwood and you will find a world of difference, wood will make a noticeable difference, insulation will make a MAJOR diference.

I know I need to better seal the air leaks, esp outlets/sliding glass doors; think floor insulation will make a big difference? Actually, getting up 17' in 3 hours I thought was pretty darn good with temps at 30' (and dropping). Yeah, I'm trying to locate some dry hardwood now. Overall, with a little work this year, I think I'll be able to do this comfortably for next year. May be a bit of a fight this year though.

definitely insulate the floor. Ever work in a heated garage or shop in the winter that had a cold floor? I can't tell you how many times I've done work w/ insulated boots, long john bottoms, and a t-shirt on since the room was 70 degrees from the chest up, and 40 degrees from the knees down.

You may not lose a ton of heat through the floor, but the comfort level is what the difference is. That is why radiant floor heating is so damn nice.

pen

yeah, if it's not going to contribute to keeping heat in the house, i'll just wear slippers. i'm not looking forward to spending a day in the crawlspace with a bunch of insulation...

nola mike said:
yeah, if it's not going to contribute to keeping heat in the house, i'll just wear slippers. i'm not looking forward to spending a day in the crawlspace with a bunch of insulation...

Is 1 day of "this sucks" = to a winter of "I can't feel my legs" ?

Just bustin' your chops. As always, do as you see fit. But if it were me, I'd be sucking it up. Or, perhaps do you have any of those spray foam companies around? I've got one in my neck of the woods that has a decent rep and would do something like that which would be even better than fiberglass. Don't know the cost / foot though, but it's something to look into.

pen

Status
Not open for further replies.