First Round House

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FirewoodAddict

Jan 7, 2015
SE PA
For the past year i've looked at these on "Hearth" and on the internet and they looked so cool i had to give it a whirl....it is comprised of red oak, ash, sugar maple, black walnut, and elm. the shingles are elm and ash skins
20150623_155226_resized.jpg 20150717_132249_resized.jpg 20150802_113410_resized.jpg 20150802_153135_resized.jpg

That is really something. You'll get to enjoy it for a few years and then slowly consume it like a dessert of some kind!

Keep saying I'm gonna build one. One of these days...
yeah its definitely more time consuming than normal row stacking! probably 15 hours all said and done throughout the last couple months chippin' away at it with splitting and stacking combined. it's 10' in diameter by 5' high (top of the wall) and i think i read somewhere that it should round out to be between 3-4cords? not sure how to calculate it to be honest.

yeah its definitely more time consuming than normal row stacking! probably 15 hours all said and done throughout the last couple months chippin' away at it with splitting and stacking combined. it's 10' in diameter by 5' high (top of the wall) and i think i read somewhere that it should round out to be between 3-4cords? not sure how to calculate it to be honest.

Build a few of them and eventually you'll get to the point where it takes maybe a little more time to build . . . but not much . . . compared to a regular stack.

I've built three or four . . . mostly now I go with the regular stacks just because it is easier to do the measurements and figure how much wood I have.

Your holtzmiete looks very good.

Build a few of them and eventually you'll get to the point where it takes maybe a little more time to build . . . but not much . . . compared to a regular stack.

I've built three or four . . . mostly now I go with the regular stacks just because it is easier to do the measurements and figure how much wood I have.

Your holtzmiete looks very good.
Thanks!, yeah now that i got one under my belt i'm already thinking of another one in the same area. Still got a load of logs left sitting close by that need to be processed so will probably end up building one more.

you can see my 10 footer I did in my Avatar, they are a real conversation piece. It is gone now.
How many cords you get out of that? dido here, if i could golf and hoard firewood every day i'd be the happiest camper this side of the state!

Reactions: golfandwoodnut
Mine was about 8 ft high, there is a cylinder calculator you can google. You just need the radius and the height. I think it was between 4 and 5 cords.

Formula is simple. It is the area of the circular bottom multiplied by the height.
Pi times radius squared times height. If you want cords, divide the resulting cubic feet by 128.

I like the bark roof.

I like the bark roof.
Thanks! yeah around here we've gotten hammered by EAB and now all of my elms literally have disappeared with i'm guessing a bad bout of elms disease in the last year so i assume both infestations have cut off the water supply up the tree resulting in the bark peeling off like butter during the splitting process.

That is way cool dude, you should post pictures over time to show how it settles with the drying process. Great job.
Thanks Bob, good idea I'll have to remember to do that.

Formula is simple. It is the area of the circular bottom multiplied by the height.
Pi times radius squared times height. If you want cords, divide the resulting cubic feet by 128.
_g

Reactions: billb3
That is way cool dude, you should post pictures over time to show how it settles with the drying process. Great job.

Well its been exactly 11 months... held up pretty good. Will be interesting to see what the moisture content is in the middle.

Attachments

• 20150802_153135_resized - Copy.jpg
    20150802_153135_resized - Copy.jpg
    222.9 KB · Views: 190
  • 20160710_152345.jpg
    20160710_152345.jpg
    219.6 KB · Views: 184
Reactions: Lakeside
LOVE the idea of using bark for the shingling. Very slick.

Don't fear math. :) Lets use 8' diameter house as an example that is 4' tall.

Radius = diameter/2 = 8/2 = 4'

It is the area of the circular bottom
Area for a circle = pi * radius^2 = 3.14 * (4')^2 = 50
Area of the base of the house = 50

multiplied by the height.

Area * height = 50 * 4' = 200

If you want cords, divide the resulting cubic feet by 128.

To convert to cord / 128 = 200/128 = 1.56 cord

So, a 8' round by 4' tall house is 1.56 cord

Thanks for giving me flash backs to high school sportbikerider -

Reactions: sportbikerider78
Thanks! yeah around here we've gotten hammered by EAB and now all of my elms literally have disappeared with i'm guessing a bad bout of elms disease in the last year so i assume both infestations have cut off the water supply up the tree resulting in the bark peeling off like butter during the splitting process.

Very well could be. It is peculiar about the infestations going on. I recently came back from Honduras on a Mission trip with my oldest daughter. We helped with a camp for orphans. It was an awesome time. Anyhoo...
The sad part is the they have a similar infestation going on with their pine trees..."Los Gogojos," which is a bark beetle. The camp we were at has lost 90% of the pine trees and they are slowly cutting them down. Whole mountainsides have been clear-cut. It's pretty sad. Two pictures. The second picture shows the start to the clear cutting.

WP_20160623_15_49_00_Pro.jpg WP_20160629_10_09_22_Pro.jpg

LOVE the idea of using bark for the shingling. Very slick.
Thanks! I've been worrying about whether that was a good idea or not, on one hand it is keeping most of the rain out, but on the other i'm wondering if its minimizing the amount of evaporation from burning off and escaping. I'll find out soon enough, got the moisture meter at the ready for October, will let you know some readings. I"m struggling with believing the splits in the middle of this are going to be good to go but i guess they've been building these for hundreds of years for a reason.

I envision the worlds biggest raccoon living in side. Ready to pounce as you remove the 1st split.
LOL, don't think for a second i didn't already consider wearing welders gloves up to my shoulders when i break it down.

Status
Not open for further replies.