First Score...Mulberry?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mskif

Nov 22, 2008
Hudson Valley NY
A kind neighbor let me have a tree that was taken down today in return for helping with the cleanup. I think it is Mulberry. Is Mulberry a decent hardwood for burning?

Attachments

• IMG_0161.jpg
    IMG_0161.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 589
  • IMG_0163.jpg
    IMG_0163.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 521
  • IMG_0159.jpg
    IMG_0159.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 536
Yes sir and a fine burning wood at that!

Mulberry is one of best.Great Score!

Wow, that's great info for me. I have a bunch of logs that look just like your mulberry and I was wondering what they were. Thanks for the post.

I didn't get a picture of it, but the middle of the logs are very yellow. It appears to turn a dark brown when it dries out.

organic said:
I didn't get a picture of it, but the middle of the logs are very yellow. It appears to turn a dark brown when it dries out.
Those are pics at the top of the page right? Do you mean you didn't get pics of the tree while standing?

The wood I have is also very yellow inside. The bark of kind of papery and greenish. It is more likely to peel off than break off. The wood grain is kind of like maple, but it is a little easier to split than maple. There is very little smell to it while splitting. I wish I had gotten a leaf from it for identification, but it seems like it is mulberry.

free75degrees said:
organic said:
Those are pics at the top of the page right? Do you mean you didn't get pics of the tree while standing?

Those are the pics. I meant that I didn't get a shot of a split showing the yellow.

The wood I have is also very yellow inside. The bark of kind of papery and greenish. It is more likely to peel off than break off. The wood grain is kind of like maple, but it is a little easier to split than maple. There is very little smell to it while splitting. I wish I had gotten a leaf from it for identification, but it seems like it is mulberry.

Sounds about right.

that is mullberry. something to consider when burning mulberry is the sparks.

be careful when loading or stirring the fire as mulberry does throw a ton of sparks.

Status
Not open for further replies.