first score of 2011 and ID request

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gregbesia

Feeling the Heat
Jan 26, 2009
central CT
Anyone care to guess what I got from work ? Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1017.jpg
    IMG_1017.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 462
  • IMG_1018.jpg
    IMG_1018.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 455
  • IMG_1019.jpg
    IMG_1019.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 455
  • IMG_1020.jpg
    IMG_1020.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 473
For real ?????????? YEES Thanks

No no i Im not saying it is not ash, Im just real happy ( I hope you understand , it"s my first)

gregbesia said:
Anyone care to guess what I got from work ? Thanks

Nice score, we have about 1/3 of a cord of white ash, we'll be pushing some in this weekend which will be our first time burning white ash.

I agree with ashLEE.

zAp

gregbesia said:
Im just real happy ( I hope you understand , it"s my first)

May you remember it fondly, nice score.

honorabLEE said:
Yes , realLEE!
If it's not please feel free to put me on ignore forever !

lol

White ash . . .

Thanks to all who were kind enough to provide ID. Here is the next problem, I was able to get a second load of same wood today, and also I got a permission to cut up and remove the main trunk - 36 inch dia. by 25-30 ft long. There are also other trees already down in the same location. Im working on the permission to remove them as well. Problem- I only have tiny 34 cc saw. I burn about 3 cords of wood a year. I have been looking for an excuse to by a larger saw. One option would be to buy something like Husky 455 from Lowes ( I know , dont buy from box stores, but I actually have enough gift cards to cover the full purchase price) . If I went with that saw would that be big , strong enough to do the job. Please let me know what You guys think, thanks.

gregbesia said:
Thanks to all who were kind enough to provide ID. Here is the next problem, I was able to get a second load of same wood today, and also I got a permission to cut up and remove the main trunk - 36 inch dia. by 25-30 ft long. There are also other trees already down in the same location. Im working on the permission to remove them as well. Problem- I only have tiny 34 cc saw. I burn about 3 cords of wood a year. I have been looking for an excuse to by a larger saw. One option would be to buy something like Husky 455 from Lowes ( I know , dont buy from box stores, but I actually have enough gift cards to cover the full purchase price) . If I went with that saw would that be big , strong enough to do the job. Please let me know what You guys think, thanks.

I have heated my home with wood cut with my 455 for near 5 years now. No glitches that weren't user induced.

Nice!
If you're likely to run into wood that size regularly I'd suggest a bit bigger saw (60-80cc) that can pull a 24" bar. If you can't swing the cost be on the lookout for a used 65-80cc from Husky, Stihl, Dolmar/Makita. If you just get one of these big boys once in a blue moon then the 455 would do O.K. 36" trunk will push the 455 hard,but definitely do-able. Those Lowes cards can also go toward chaps, files, bar oil, helmet system, wedges....

Lowes may be able to get the 460 too. That comes with a 24 bar and is 60cc. TSC sells them for around 450. You can Ebay your certificates too. May get 85% of face value, then go elsewhere.

The 460 is a great choice, I just noodled some logs over the week end and wow it pulls a 20 in bar like nothing.

gregbesia, I've had my 455 from Lowes for 4 years, and cut over 30 cord with it. If you're working on larger rounds/trees, get a bigger saw.
I didn't know any better at the time, and if I had I would have gone with a lighter, better saw for bucking. It pulls the 20" chain pretty well, but I changed the safety chain after the first year.
I'll be putting on an 18" b/c soon, since most of the stuff I deal with won't need more than that.

gregbesia said:
One option would be to buy something like Husky 455 from Lowes ( I know , dont buy from box stores, but I actually have enough gift cards to cover the full purchase price) . If I went with that saw would that be big , strong enough to do the job.

If i were you i would go with the 455. I'm currently using a 450 w/an 18" bar and full chisel chain (non-safety) for my everyday cutting/firewood - this winter i have cut about 5 cords so far with no problem. Great all-round saw and light enough where it doesn't tire you out too quickly after 6-8 hours of running. If i had to do it over i would have ponied up the extra $$ for the 455 (was on a tight budget), but the saw has fared well against black locust, ash, and hard maple (locust was about 30" and the the maple about 36" - cut from both sides). As others have said - going to a local dealer is much better than the big boxes, but i understand the gift card thing...
Chances are, you'll have to bring the saw to your local dealer to have it tuned up and running right after you buy it from the Big Box (then you will get the 3rd degree from them for not buying it from them! ;-P )

Don't know your experience level, but if you're not cutting too much - stay within your limits as far as power/bar size. Inexperience and big saws are a dangerous combination.

Status
Not open for further replies.