First Score of Firewood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jlow

Feeling the Heat
Jan 19, 2009
Sterling Heights, Michigan
A customer of mine owns an excavating business aand I asked him if he ever has firewood to let me know. He calls me this morning and has 10 dead trees down and is taking me there on Saturday. I can cut whatever I want and he will haul them to the house with his big trailer. He also has 20 pallets (no paint) that he is dropping off at the house. I need them for my stack in the backyard and also for my garage where I have sectioned off 150 sq.ft to store the seasoned stuff for next year. Do you think I will be able to burn this stuff. He says it has been off the ground.

I wouldn't count on it, but you never know you may luck up. Hope you've got a good saw. Sounds like you'll have a loader to get all the heavy pieces. You hit it good, sawing is the easy part, it's the loading and hauling that wear me out.

it totally depends the conditions/environment ,how long its been down , the species etc ...

lexybird said:
it totally depends the conditions/environment ,how long its been down , the species etc ...
I agree...
Cut, split and stack it as soon as possible. I'd say there's a pretty good chance. If it looks real green when you split it, make your splits a little smaller than usual.
Also, if you have some very well seasoned wood when next season rolls around, you can mix the two.

Do you think I will be able to burn this stuff.

Do mean like right now as soon as you cut & split it? If the trees are dead I'm thinking the top third of a dead tree will burn OK...then it depends the closer you get to the trunk.

If you need wood asap cut the more tops for now. Good score with the pallets too.

So my guy calls me and says he will drop off 10' lengths at my house tonight (4",6",8" rounds). He is going to leave his trailer and will pick it up when I empty it. Now I don't have to go and cut on Saturday. Also, he is clearing an area for a shopping center in town and it is all trees. I can have whatever I want. If anyone is close to Detroit, let me know. I will see and let you know what he has.

Contractors like that are great...but usually we screw it up and don't move fast enough. Do yourself a favor and make sure to get that trailer unloaded as quick as you can. He may have told you to take your time, but do the relationship a favor adn keep a fire lit under your butt to get his equipment back to him ASAP...he needs it out there doing work and making money for his business.

Plus if you work efficiently you cna almost guarantee an near endless supply of free wood dropped off at your house.

This is potentially a great relationship. Make sure to do your part and keep it solid.

Status
Not open for further replies.