First score of the year --split ID pls

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SolarAndWood

Minister of Fire
Feb 3, 2008
Syracuse NY
Couldn't pass this one up. Not the biggest or the best but only cost me 15 minutes.

Attachments

• 031711 score.jpg
    031711 score.jpg
    211.6 KB · Views: 313
I am way behind this year. Going to be a pile again this year....To much milling to stack!

I'm upgrading from a pile to a windrow this year.

wood spliter said:
and its not a project.

My project is my processing area is all jammed up. 20 cord in the heap below the splitter and 6 above it waiting to be split. Need a new plan.

SolarAndWood said:
I'm upgrading from a pile to a windrow this year.

I did last year other than oak will get piled....Just dont have the time or I would.

I don't have the inclination. With the wind we get, I don't think it matters much. Just need to set up a little more room so that it all gets enough time.

SolarAndWood said:
Couldn't pass this one up. Not the biggest or the best but only cost me 15 minutes.

Solar good score, what type of wood is it?

Zap

SolarAndWood said:
I don't have the inclination. With the wind we get, I don't think it matters much. Just need to set up a little more room so that it all gets enough time.

Thats what I thought but the extra time not worth an extra trailer load at this point. Running mainly top of the line hardwoods and my furnace will burn bricks..lol no kidding.

zapny said:
Solar good score, what type of wood is it?

Not sure what the stuff you see at the close end of the pic was but it was bloody heavy. A little clump birch and pine at the far end.

smokinjay said:
Running mainly top of the line hardwoods

Wish I had that problem, that might be a third of my pile at best. I take what I can get and save the good stuff for when I need it.

SolarAndWood said:
smokinjay said:
Running mainly top of the line hardwoods

Wish I had that problem, that might be a third of my pile at best. I take what I can get and save the good stuff for when I need it.

This really comes down to teaming up and using everyone equipment...You can do jobs that would normally never get done and everyone wins. (just price to the owner and to small to take on the job)

My role is to take the stuff away that makes other guys money. Most of what I get is cut by guys in very tight urban spaces and is roped down. These guys make it look easy.

Prosecond said:
looks like hard maple.

I wouldn't argue with that, it is definitely heavy enough. Split pretty easy and clean.

Attachments

• 031711 splitting.jpg
    031711 splitting.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 207
  • 031711 split.jpg
    031711 split.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 201
SolarAndWood said:
Prosecond said:
looks like hard maple.

I wouldn't argue with that, it is definitely heavy enough. Split pretty easy and clean.

Yellow color says its not silver! I have a cord or two of it and hard enough for chopping blocks. I Think its sugar but could be wrong there?

smokinjay said:
its not silver!

lol, one thing I do know is that if you say its not silver, its definitely not silver.

SolarAndWood said:
Prosecond said:
looks like hard maple.

I agree, looks like Sugar Maple.

Zap

That's a pleasant surprise. I'm glad the competition was out celebrating St Patrick's day.

Yep...agree with the Sugar. Actually plan to be cutting some of that myself this weekend...along with some cherry and oak for good measure.
Never burned sugar maple yet but it's right up there on the btu chart.

Status
Not open for further replies.