First scrounge of the fall - Red Maple right?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

onion

Burning Hunk
Nov 3, 2009
Ohio
A local tree company called this morning to say they had one down I could have about 15 miles away. I drove out and there was a big maple cut up in pieces waiting. I stopped to talk to the lady who owned the house and she said she had promised the wood to the neighbor down the street....doh! Well, after talking to her a bit she said I could get a truckload and she would call this afternoon if he didn't come and get it by 6. As I loaded my truck three people stopped and asked if I was gonna take it all. Got about 1/4 of what's there, I don't hold much hope I'll get the rest. Some of the big rounds I will definitely have to noodle or split, easy three feet across. Hope the neighbor is lazy...

Anyhow, I suspect it is red maple which I'm fine with, just wanted to make sure the tree co. knows I'll come get it if they call.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-zb_uJWZnOFQ/TllG42qGO5I/AAAAAAAABBo/24NZBd44YCw/s640/P1070171.JPG

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-cSSPQqZy6rk/TllHA231mzI/AAAAAAAABCo/e59D5G3Nhb0/s640/P1070175.JPG

Sure looks like the Red Maple I've been cutting for my SILs recently...bark, leaf and wood. I think the stuff that was split a couple of months ago is getting fairly dry...
Why all the interest in soft Maple? I guess it's that time of year when everyone is trying to grab wood and start seasoning it for this Fall. :lol:
How long have you had this tree co. feeding you?

Looks like soft maple to me.. Good stuff for shoulder season or daytime fires etc...

Ray

Woody Stover said:
Sure looks like the Red Maple I've been cutting for my SILs recently...bark, leaf and wood. I think the stuff that was split a couple of months ago is getting fairly dry...
Why all the interest in soft Maple? I guess it's that time of year when everyone is trying to grab wood and start seasoning it for this Fall. :lol:
How long have you had this tree co. feeding you?

This is next years wood, I'm pretty well set for this year. Trying to get ahead for the first time. This is the first call I've gotten from the tree company, homeowner said she was going to call them and let them know how courteous I was lol, hopefully that means they'll call me again.

I just got back from getting another load. She said to come tomorrow for the rest. The stuff in her fenced yard should be safe (especially since the rounds are probably 200 lbs each) but I won't be surprised if the rest on the curb goes away before I get back.

Onion,good scrounge. We burn our fair share of cherry which is close in btu's, great wood.

zap

Onion do not worry about the noodling. This stuff splits so easy you just don't need help. You can even split it with an axe if you want to. Do expect it to dry quite fast and it will be much, much lighter in weight then. It will light off easy and burn hot. There is good heat there and we use it for daytime burning all winter and also usually put one or two splits in with the ash we're presently burning. That helps get the fire established quickly. If you want to make some kindling, you'll be hard pressed to find anything better. And good for you for getting that wood and being kind to the lady.

Well Jags, the tree falled (new english) didn't it? :lol:

Backwoods Savage said:
Well Jags, the tree falled (new english) didn't it? :lol:

Dang it Dennis, I ain't ready - mentally. This summer owes me some time.

I'm with you Jags. I will wait at least 3 more months to start cutting.

Backwoods Savage said:
This stuff splits so easy you just don't need help. You can even split it with an axe if you want to. Do expect it to dry quite fast and it will be much, much lighter in weight then.
I got one a couple of months ago and it split like a dream. I did some with an axe. It was a woods tree. Then last month, I got a big one that was a yard tree. That thing had twisty grain and was a bear to split with the power splitter...didn't even try an axe. They were HEAVY, too. The peavey paid for itself that day, getting those rounds into position on the splitter.

Woody Stover said:
Backwoods Savage said:
This stuff splits so easy you just don't need help. You can even split it with an axe if you want to. Do expect it to dry quite fast and it will be much, much lighter in weight then.
I got one a couple of months ago and it split like a dream. I did some with an axe. It was a woods tree. Then last month, I got a big one that was a yard tree. That thing had twisty grain and was a bear to split with the power splitter...didn't even try an axe. They were HEAVY, too. The peavey paid for itself that day, getting those rounds into position on the splitter.

This was a yard tree and gnarly as hell. We ended up noodling a bar deep on every round and driving wedges. Most popped pretty easy that way. I forgot swinging a sledge was such hard work.

Went back today with some backup and got the vast majority of what was left. Pretty interesting on the last round, we split it and approximately 10 billion carpenter ants spilled out. I figure at least a cord of wood here. Pretty happy that I am now a little ahead, hopefully the tree company gets plenty more work out my way.

I was splitting some black birch ealier in the summer and had the same thing happen, I tossed the splits with the ants to the side and a few days later I checked them and the ants were gone. Hope they didnt go into my stacked wood.

I was splitting some black birch ealier in the summer and had the same thing happen, I tossed the splits with the ants to the side and a few days later I checked them and the ants were gone. Hope they didnt go into my stacked wood.[/quote]

Dont worry...even if they are in your stacked wood - you shouldnt be able to hear them scream when they go in the fire. :coolsmirk:

onion said:
Went back today with some backup and got the vast majority of what was left. Pretty interesting on the last round, we split it and approximately 10 billion carpenter ants spilled out. I figure at least a cord of wood here. Pretty happy that I am now a little ahead, hopefully the tree company gets plenty more work out my way.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-gfZf6b5w5aQ/Tlqlj9BOeBI/AAAAAAAABDo/YJ9tbjCPcYI/s800/P1070196.JPG

Seems like 2 different kinds of Wood. I agree though about the Soft (Silver) Maple comment earlier. Thus last pic show it much better. Dont know about the other though. Silver Maple seasons very quickly as Backwoods said. I split some "Large" Splits in May and have burned some outside and check ed the M/C Level. Burned fantastic and was about 20%. That was couplke weeks ago. Strill have better than a month before a fire. Pellet stove upstairs will take off the chill before we need a Roaring Fire.

Congrats on the Score.

Dexter, I don't see two types of wood there. Maybe you are seeing something I'm missing?

Status
Not open for further replies.