First scrounge/small score in NJ from Craigslist - ID help?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jerseykat1

Dec 19, 2010
North NJ
I believe the dark pieces are black locust based on the way the bark looks and the color of the wood, i think the 3rd picture is some sort of pine because it is fairly light in weight but i have no idea what it is, 4th picture i am hoping is ash based on wood color and bark texture, and the 5th picture i have no idea what it is but it's heavy and pretty dense for its size. found this in the free section of Central jersey craigslist, should still be there since there was a lot of wood there (mostly non straight stuff).

Nice score jerseykat! Good for you. Now you have some splitting to do to get that dried out. Awesome. After you get it split and stacked, let us know how much you got out of it. With pics of course. ;-)

thanks, i hope its not too difficult, i have never split any pieces that large, going to have a go at it on sunday. Looks like almost half a cord.

jerseykat1 said:
thanks, i hope its not too difficult, i have never split any pieces that large, going to have a go at it on sunday. Looks like almost half a cord.

Got a maul? Or a sledge and wedge. Gotta have a wedge. I use a maul and a wedge and keep a good sharp axe nearby as well. You will have it done in no time. Safety first. Always be careful of your legs and feet. :) Have a good one man.

Gasifier said:
jerseykat1 said:

Got a maul? Or a sledge and wedge. Gotta have a wedge. I use a maul and a wedge and keep a good sharp axe nearby as well. You will have it done in no time. Safety first. Always be careful of your legs and feet. :) Have a good one man.

i do have an axe, no maul or sledge. Should i get a maul and or a sledge and wedge? i need a new chain for my chain saw also. looks like i have to go to home depot.

jerseykat1 said:
i do have an axe, no maul or sledge. Should i get a maul and or a sledge and wedge? i need a new chain for my chain saw also. looks like i have to go to home depot.

If you possibly can,get a maul AND sledge & TWO wedges.Once in a while you'll run into some huge or gnarly rounds that the maul,axe or even a Fiskars will just bounce off of.Then you'll have to bust 'em open with sledge/wedges to make them lighter & easier to carry.Once opened up,maul,Fiskars or axe shouldnt have any trouble.

I see some maple, maybe ash, and some beech. I don't see locust.

I see ash and beech great score!

so that dark colored wood is beech? thought it was locust. Is beech any good and how long does beech take to season?

jerseykat1 said:
so that dark colored wood is beech? thought it was locust. Is beech any good and how long does beech take to season?
The dark colored wood is not beech. The smooth bark wood is beech. I think the dark wood is either ash or maple.

You can use the back end of a 8lb maul for the sledge.
performance-tool-m7111-8-lb-splitting-maul.jpg
But its nice to have a nice one handed 5lb sledge also. I started like that but have graduated to a Fiskar's Super Splitter. The Fiskars says not to hit the backside so I haven't....yet.

That third picture is Ailanthus. Light weight, stinky, not a great firewood. The second picture of rounds in the dark in a truck bed is Red Oak. I'll take a closer look and give opinion on the rest.

The beech is great wood.It will be ready next year if you process it now.Use it when it gets real cold.Produces lots of coal,so much so that periodically I burn lesser wood to let the coal pile burn down

Wood Duck said:
That third picture is Ailanthus. Light weight, stinky, not a great firewood. The second picture of rounds in the dark in a truck bed is Red Oak. I'll take a closer look and give opinion on the rest.

That s*&t is nasty.Removed 2 very large & 1 smaller Ailanthus from my property in March 2000.Split easily,grain & color similar to White Ash.Really stunk,both the wood & especially leaves & smaller twigs.It left behind more ash than anything I've ever burned.That's the only wood I would never bring home again.Only reason I burned it here is because I didnt have a place to get rid of it.Asked parents if I could dump it at their acreage,the reply was 'No way!' ;-P

im not so convinced that the dark stuff is red oak. the wood is bright yellow inside just like black locust. have a look at a piece that i was FINALLY able to split (this stuff is very difficult to split). i think the other stuff is maple, the grain does not look like ash when split.

Now does look like locust although the red end grain looks like mulberry.

gzecc said:

from what i have seen and the locust that i had last season. it seems to always turn that color at the ends after a while. But the bark is a giveaway.

jerseykat1 said:
im not so convinced that the dark stuff is red oak. the wood is bright yellow inside just like black locust. have a look at a piece that i was FINALLY able to split (this stuff is very difficult to split). i think the other stuff is maple, the grain does not look like ash when split.

I hope you got a wedge.

It looks like you took a few swings at that round with your maul.

jerseykat1 said:
gzecc said:

from what i have seen and the locust that i had last season. it seems to always turn that color at the ends after a while. But the bark is a giveaway.

Mulberry end grain will change from bright/golden yellow to darker in just a few days.

Srbenda said:
jerseykat1 said:

I hope you got a wedge.

It looks like you took a few swings at that round with your maul.

i have a wedge but this stuff is difficult to get it in, i may have to slot it with a chain saw, then get the wedge in. I only did one piece so far.

Thistle said:
jerseykat1 said:
gzecc said:

Mulberry end grain will change from bright/golden yellow to darker in just a few days.

So this could be mulberry? does mulberry have the same type of bark?

jerseykat1 said:
Thistle said:
jerseykat1 said:
gzecc said:

So this could be mulberry? does mulberry have the same type of bark?

That bark looks unmistakably BL too me. Either way, go joisey! Things have been busy here since the storm. Still cleaning up.

i see new adds for free wood almost 2-3 times a day on craigslist (i have an android app that tells me of all new firewood listings within minutes of it posting) in my part of jersey. My only problem is not owning a pick up truck yet.

The yellow wood with the orange color on old cuts is Mulberry. That bark seems fairly typical for Mulberry. Black Locust has slightly yellowish wood, but nothing close to the color shown in the pictures.

I think the third picture in the original post is Norway Maple.

Status
Not open for further replies.