First season with a GW100

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The other question I am wondering is what is your dump zone hooked up to?

May try to answer two threads in one post if possibe. As for wood being burned mostly Cherry,Hickory,and some hit n miss with Maple. All seem like very good wood, ran into some punky stuff at begining of burn season.Have noticed the past couple days if I clean out any ash n coals build up in the bottom 3 inches or so does seem to burn longer dont know if thats all in my head or not yet.
As for the info from Jimbo, has been priceless... I have read many of his past posts and any pertaining to GW s I take as gospel...He knows his sh*t...
I will check temp drop again this weekend with a couple different devices I had an infra red digital thermometer then will compare to a conventional contact thermometer. I will post findings Sunday or Monday some time.
As for cords. I am using full cord measurments Have roughly 10 full cords in shed. Half or so is gone.,. Only been burning since end of Oct.. Very disappointed on that front.
Do not have any dump zone yet. Only had one or two Hi temp issues and one was my own stupidity,leaving door cracked to burn some coals down..
Dont know if storage will be the answer or not but may give it a try over the off season

Was going to let cool off and remove panels to clean HX tubes this wknd but with temps near 0 may wait for another wknd to do that. Hope anything I do will help the situation.. Thanks for the comments and suggestions
Keep the good info coming Jimbo

That's intresting, never heard of not running a dump zone. What water temps are you running? I mean what are you aquastats set at? Looking forward to your findings with your temp drops. I guessing you may have allot.

Aquastat setting is at 175 w a 10 degree recovery. I hope i dont have big temp drops. Installed 1 in pex each line wrapped twice individually then 2 wraps around both inside the 5 or 6 inch tube. Ditched 3 to 4 ft sand under around and over tube,then 1inch thick blue foam type stiff insulation and felt paper over that. So far no snow melt over the line.
I dont think Jimbo runs a dump zone either. I seriously thought about it this fall when outside temps were higher than normal,but people told me to build a fire accordingly. Makes sense instead of loading boiler up just to dump off extra BTU's. Still up in air maybe storage is the way to go,But unit is not designed for storage. The low volume is supposed to recover quickly enough. One thing I did leave out is that I am running a Glycol mix in both boiler and house runs(protection if boiler quits all together in a 0 degree day I wont freeze up). I will post temps as soon as I get them..... Thanks

OK back again Did some temp checking The results are with GW up to 190* and house at no heat load. Temps taken at the plate exchanger at rear of boiler,Leaving exchanger,runs 150 ft. to basement,thru DHW plate exchanger,thru water to air Hx,and back 150 ft to boiler I lost 2 or 3 degrees. I personally dont see this as a problem. Just cant figure out why I have went thru 5 or better cord in basically 2 1/2 months. Jimbo if you happen to read this can you email me Thanks

No not yet took readings with Fluke meter w a temp probe lead

2beans you had a pic on a post of temp gauges in line. Are they wired in to some kinda digital readout?

Status
Not open for further replies.