First significant scrounge in many years

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bushfire

Burning Hunk
Nov 19, 2005
Kennett Square, PA
Scrounged all the wood I ever burned in CT several years ago, but have had trouble finding reliable sources since moving to PA, but finally came through with four pick-up loads of walnut and Norway maple. Probably around a cord, maybe a touch more.

Had to buy this year and last, but trying to get ahead with purchasing two extra (burn around a cord a month) cord this year. Hopefully, I can scrounge some more and get further ahead. Looking forward to splitting this stuff before the weather turns too cold.

Attachments

• IMG_7106.jpg
    IMG_7106.jpg
    311.1 KB · Views: 290
  • IMG_7104.jpg
    IMG_7104.jpg
    338.9 KB · Views: 297
  • IMG_7105.jpg
    IMG_7105.jpg
    303.3 KB · Views: 279
Good for you. Any scrounge is a good scrounge. I don't normally run across 1 cord or more at a time but I just lucked up this past week. Over the past 2 weeks there was a logging crew clearing a piece of land about 2 miles from my house. When they pulled out I called the landowner and asked permission to scavenge what I could and he gave me the ok. I went out and filled up my 4x8 trailer with a load of some thin leaf oak. Looks to be about 4 more loads that will be easy to get to. Some poplar and gum there but may just leave that for someone else.

Very nice haul there. Used to be able to scrounge all the time when we lived out near Norfolk, but since we moved to the other side of VA the scrounging has basically dried up.

How does scrounging dry up? Both of you guys moved to areas full of trees. Were you scrounging suburban areas where there is not as much competition to burn?

I really like your wood shed. Looks nice.
Thanks. Holds about 4 cords. Only thing I wish I had done was make it about a cord bigger. We burn about a cord a month, so for a cold winter it won't hold quite enough for the whole winter, but close enough. I'll try and post some more pictures in the wood shed thread.

I really like your wood shed. Looks nice.
I guess that wood shed thread is closed, so here are a few more shots of the wood shed. All PT lumber and a metal roof. I based the design off a plan from Jamaica Cottage in Vermont (which is where I got the kit for the shed you can see to the left - great sheds). The extra blocking around the opening is for eventually adding some siding of some kind.

Here's the shed I based it on: http://jamaicacottageshop.com/shop/woodbin-6x/

Attachments

• IMG_3964.jpg
    IMG_3964.jpg
    223.3 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_3963.jpg
    IMG_3963.jpg
    227.4 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_3960.jpg
    IMG_3960.jpg
    311.1 KB · Views: 161
How does scrounging dry up? Both of you guys moved to areas full of trees. Were you scrounging suburban areas where there is not as much competition to burn?
I'll just say this - where I used to live in CT a relatively small percentage of people burned wood for heat. As a result it was easy to get wood. The tree service guys were constantly looking for a place to dump nice hardwood.

Everybody burns where I live now, and competition is much higher .

In Norfolk most people didn't burn wood for heat so you can usually find a good amount on Craigslist. There are even tree services that will post and giveaway the wood rather than deal with it. Out here most people burn firewood for heat, so it generally does not make it to CL, much of the rest of the forest land is privately owned, or actively being scrounged by locals for firewood.

That said, we have been known to go up to the Blacksburg/Roanoke area with the Titan after a major storm and do some scrounging. Usually works out because the wife can then do shopping up there that she can't do down here.

Last edited:
Well that's a real nice scrounge there, nice job! Keep looking around, look for compost sites, look for fallen trees in the woods near you if any and find out who owns the property and ask permission to take some of it. I'm sure you'll find some sources soon!

I'll just say this - where I used to live in CT a relatively small percentage of people burned wood for heat. As a result it was easy to get wood. The tree service guys were constantly looking for a place to dump nice hardwood.

Everybody burns where I live now, and competition is much higher .

That's what i figured. I have relatives down by norfolk and no one burns

Status
Not open for further replies.