First Small Fire IN AUGUST!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

toddnic

Minister of Fire
Jul 13, 2013
North Carolina
Well, it is August 16th and it is in the mid-50's and not expected to get above 63 degrees today. If this is what is happening in mid-August....it is going to be a LONG WINTER! I started my first ever small fire in the Progress Hybrid this morning to get the chill out of the house and hoped for the best. It was actually quite easy to use and everything is working fine. Woodstock said to have a few small fires initially to season the woodstove. Very pleased with how it is working out and the 'seasoning smell' is not that strong either. Glad we have this woodstove if it is going to be a LONG WINTER!

Reactions: ScotO
I had a little fire in the fireplace yesterday morning. It made it hard to leave for work! It was 49 degrees, why not. Right?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    228.4 KB · Views: 95
If I'd been at my place this week I would have lit the fire. Overnight temps this week dipping below 40 deg F. This is August, right....?:confused:

Had my 3rd fire yesterday morning.
Kindling and Poplar, so no great loss.

I miss having a bunch of poplar for just that reason. Maybe the power line clearing crews will come back soon...

We just made it through two brutal nights of 54* temps ;).
I miss having a bunch of poplar for just that reason. Maybe the power line clearing crews will come back soon...
A neighbor offered me a bunch of Tulip because he's "afraid it will rot." I don't know how much of a problem that is with Tulip, but I told him to just cover it. At any rate, I may grab a bunch of it, break the splits down smaller and get everybody a pile of starter wood. :)

I ALMOST had dear wifey convinced to let me start up the NZ3000 the past two nights (it was 46 on night and 45 last night, respectively)......even threatened to break out a bottle of her wine (i'm not a wine drinker, but I'll drink a little if it gets me somewhere;)), but she said it'd be too hot upstairs.......no pun intended....

so I'll have to wait a little longer.....:(

You guys better never move north of New York. We call this weather "Yea we can turn off the AC!!" He he ;)

In a week it will be 90 again and we will all be back to complaining of heat.I still don't expect to need any heat before mid October. Maybe we are just cold blooded up here...........

What is happening here?! Is there a bunch of folks who have forgotten how to snuggle? Snuggling is good and sometimes it helps the marriage; we have too many divorces so perhaps we need to take Snuggling 101.

Well, it is August 16th and it is in the mid-50's and not expected to get above 63 degrees today. If this is what is happening in mid-August....it is going to be a LONG WINTER! I started my first ever small fire in the Progress Hybrid this morning to get the chill out of the house and hoped for the best. It was actually quite easy to use and everything is working fine. Woodstock said to have a few small fires initially to season the woodstove. Very pleased with how it is working out and the 'seasoning smell' is not that strong either. Glad we have this woodstove if it is going to be a LONG WINTER!

1. First fire. Up to 6 pieces of kindling (1" x 1" maximum). Light the fire (super cedar works great), leave the draft full open and just let it burn out.

2. Second fire. (Stove should cool some but should not have to be cold before second fire.) Same amount of kindling. No more than 2 small or medium splits. Light the fire and let it burn. After splits get burning good, close draft to about 50%. Let the fire go until it is out.

3. Third fire. Stove should cool down some but no need to wait for total cold stove. Just luke warm. Same amount of kindling. This time 3-4 splits and light the fire. Stove top should reach 350-400. If the temperature goes higher, no worries. Again turn the draft down to 50% as on your second fire but after you feel the fire is good and established, turn the draft down to at least 25%. Let the fire burn itself out.

At this point you should be good to go with hotter fires. I'd suggest aiming for 500-550 on the next fire and finally to 600 or more. The stove should be ready for big time burning now.

EDIT: On the second burn you may or may not get hot enough to engage the cat but you should on the third burn. (200 degree stove top and 400 flue (measured on single wall flue pipe.)

Thanks Backwoods Savage for the info! We got it up to about 300 degrees on the stove top this morning. It definitely puts out the heat. The kids were asking to open up the windows after a couple of hours. I really hope we have some warmer months before winter sets in. At our elevation we normally can see snow between October 15 - 31. We had a difficult winter two years ago but last winter was fairly mild. Hopefully this is not an indicator of what we might have in store for us this winter :/

This could be one of those winters coming up but I guess we'll have to wait and see on that. For sure, enjoy that wonderful stove!

What is happening here?! Is there a bunch of folks who have forgotten how to snuggle? Snuggling is good and sometimes it helps the marriage; we have too many divorces so perhaps we need to take Snuggling 101.

Never learned how. 40 years after the wedding is a little late to start learning new things. :confused:

Never learned how. 40 years after the wedding is a little late to start learning new things. :confused:
aw, c'mon BB......the dark haired girl would probably just LOVE it if you started snugglin' her. I know when I do that for my wife, good things come my way!!::-)
She loves it when I run my hand through her hair when we're on the couch....makes her feel like a million bucks and she deserves to feel that way!

She's taught this old dog some new tricks!==c

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Didn't say anything about not running hands through the hair. >>

As to cuddling, back in my hard drinking and fighting days she says it was dangerous to be grabbing on me in the middle of the night. :eek:

Didn't say anything about not running hands through the hair. >>

As to cuddling, back in my hard drinking days she says it was dangerous to be grabbing on me in the middle of the night. :eek:
;lol;lol;lol
Might end up waking up with your "jewelry" out of place, eh?
Reminds me of a story that a guy at work told us years ago (he's since retired). Said way back in his drinking days, he called home one night from work (was working the second shift) and told the wife he'd be working a double....
Well, he ended up only working an hour or so into that double when the electricity went out at work...and they sent the guys home around 1:00. So he and some others stopped at the bar for a couple brews.....and found his way home at 3:30am drunk. Trouble was, he got a ride home, and didn't have keys to get in. But he knew that the one window was unlocked (always was) and he tried to quietly sneak in that way......

Wife met him in the dark on the stairway landing with a shotgun in his face......thank God she knew his voice, or he'd have been plastered on the wall!!

Sticking a fork in this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.