FIRST SNOW AND COLD BLAST OF THE YEAR

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Todd

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
NW Wisconsin
Had my first snow yesterday, and it's currently snowing today. Highs are only going to be in the 30's, low this morning 22. Winds are blowing hard.

Fired up the stove yesterday, reloaded with red oak before work at 1pm, came home from work at 1230am to a 76 degree house and a 300 degree stove with nice big coal chunks inside to get fire going again. Love it! :cheese: Looks like I'll be burning 24/7 for a few days.

I heard we will be getting a piece of that cold coming tonight

Snow on the roof and the back deck last night. Fired up our very inefficient fireplace. Wife opened up the glass doors to feel the warmth. Heard the furnace kick on during the middle of the fire. I'm going to have wood-stove envy reading the posts on this site until our new house gets built in a year or so.

first snow is always a beautiful site. then you have to get in the car and drive to work

10+ inches and still going strong just a few miles north of us, white outs and nearly 5 inches here so far. The lake effect machine is fired up and so is my stove 24/7. Now if the boat wasn't still in the water it would be perfect.

I can wait for snow and cold all my remodeling is outside IT will be soon enough went 30 feels warm. I'll take the 50-60's
as long as possible So far I have not been able to line up inside winter work a day here or there.. So I have to make as much as I can, put some away to carry threw the winter. The inspections is part time per inspection fee It cost my money to do them

We're getting our first snow and it's a big one. +12" so far with wind and it's heavy and wet. It will be gone next week and I'll be able to rake leaves again...yippie! Lows in the 20's and the stove is working nicely except for that new stove smell.

Had about 2 inches aof really nasty snow yesterday - heavy, wet, and blowing hard. Leaves haven;t even changed. Started the WWL, just about cooked the house (indoor temp went from 59 to 76 in about 2 hrs).

Of course, I don't even have all the wood processed yet (been cut and stacked a long time, just now splitting it).

Oh well. Here's hoping for indian summer.

Steve

Lake effect snow hit Buffalo with a record early storm. 22" at the airport between Thurs. & Fri. 400000 without power.

And it's not even mid-October. I could never live there. I like to visit snow, but not live in it.

BeGreen said:
Lake effect snow hit Buffalo with a record early storm. 22" at the airport between Thurs. & Fri. 400000 without power.

And it's not even mid-October. I could never live there. I like to visit snow, but not live in it.
The weather channel was saying of LOT of home owners were to be with out power until next week end ???!!!

BeGreen said:

Man...bad news in Buf. The leaves are still on the trees up there and all that extra weight means limbs on power lines.

I was born and raised about 75 miles south of Buffalo and I do not miss those winters!!

I'm in Buffalo this weekend and beyond for my job. There is a LOT of wood on the ground, and I would say it's mostly hard wood Excellent for you scavenger types!!!

velvetfoot said:
I'm in Buffalo this weekend and beyond for my job. There is a LOT of wood on the ground, and I would say it's mostly hard wood Excellent for you scavenger types!!!

After they get those power lines out from under it!

1st snow this eve. Heavy wet 3 inches like cement paste around 1500ft sea sevel. Started out in the 50's with heavy rain , lighting strikes... Wind shifted then turn over to snow with lightning!!!!!!!!! What a show

Status
Not open for further replies.