1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

FIRST SNOW AND COLD BLAST OF THE YEAR

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Todd, Oct 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Todd

Todd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Lake Wissota
    Had my first snow yesterday, and it's currently snowing today. Highs are only going to be in the 30's, low this morning 22. Winds are blowing hard.

Fired up the stove yesterday, reloaded with red oak before work at 1pm, came home from work at 1230am to a 76 degree house and a 300 degree stove with nice big coal chunks inside to get fire going again. Love it! :cheese: Looks like I'll be burning 24/7 for a few days.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. elkimmeg

elkimmeg Guest

I heard we will be getting a piece of that cold coming tonight
  3. northwinds

northwinds Minister of Fire

Loc:
    south central WI
    Snow on the roof and the back deck last night. Fired up our very inefficient fireplace. Wife opened up the glass doors to feel the warmth. Heard the furnace kick on during the middle of the fire. I'm going to have wood-stove envy reading the posts on this site until our new house gets built in a year or so.
  4. BikeMedic2709

BikeMedic2709 New Member

Loc:
    North-Central Ohio
    Snowed here today. Nothing to speak of. But beautiful just the same! It is really windy!
  5. fbelec

fbelec Minister of Fire

Loc:
    northern massachusetts
    first snow is always a beautiful site. then you have to get in the car and drive to work
  6. BikeMedic2709

BikeMedic2709 New Member

Loc:
    North-Central Ohio
    I love the drive to work especially in the snow! I love everything about snow!
  7. stuart

stuart New Member

Loc:
    Bethany Ct
    snow too soon
  8. Robbie

Robbie Minister of Fire

Loc:
    East Tennessee- Great Smoky Mountains.
    Leaves are just barely turning here, 48 outside now, 79 inside.

I have a nice fire in the wood stove tonight..................... :lol:

Robbie
  9. Rich M

Rich M New Member

Loc:
    NW Lower Michigan
    10+ inches and still going strong just a few miles north of us, white outs and nearly 5 inches here so far. The lake effect machine is fired up and so is my stove 24/7. Now if the boat wasn't still in the water it would be perfect.
  10. DonCT

DonCT Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Bristol, Connecticut
    I was watching a news report of everyone scrambling to get their boats drydocked and lawn sprinklers bled.

Ahhhhhh, tis the season :)
  11. elkimmeg

elkimmeg Guest

I can wait for snow and cold all my remodeling is outside IT will be soon enough went 30 feels warm. I'll take the 50-60's
    as long as possible So far I have not been able to line up inside winter work a day here or there.. So I have to make as much as I can, put some away to carry threw the winter. The inspections is part time per inspection fee It cost my money to do them
  12. biggins08

biggins08 New Member

Loc:
    Springfield MA
    Any one live in Buffalo? Nasty stuff up there....
  13. K31Scout

K31Scout Member

Loc:
    Northern Michigan
    We're getting our first snow and it's a big one. +12" so far with wind and it's heavy and wet. It will be gone next week and I'll be able to rake leaves again...yippie! Lows in the 20's and the stove is working nicely except for that new stove smell.
  14. saichele

saichele Minister of Fire

Had about 2 inches aof really nasty snow yesterday - heavy, wet, and blowing hard. Leaves haven;t even changed. Started the WWL, just about cooked the house (indoor temp went from 59 to 76 in about 2 hrs).

Of course, I don't even have all the wood processed yet (been cut and stacked a long time, just now splitting it).

Oh well. Here's hoping for indian summer.

Steve
  15. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Lake effect snow hit Buffalo with a record early storm. 22" at the airport between Thurs. & Fri. 400000 without power.

And it's not even mid-October. I could never live there. I like to visit snow, but not live in it.
  16. Roospike

Roospike New Member

Loc:
    Eastern Nebraska
    The weather channel was saying of LOT of home owners were to be with out power until next week end ???!!!
  17. jabush

jabush Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Howard County, MD
    Man...bad news in Buf. The leaves are still on the trees up there and all that extra weight means limbs on power lines.

I was born and raised about 75 miles south of Buffalo and I do not miss those winters!!
  18. velvetfoot

velvetfoot Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Sand Lake, NY
    I'm in Buffalo this weekend and beyond for my job. There is a LOT of wood on the ground, and I would say it's mostly hard wood Excellent for you scavenger types!!!
  19. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    After they get those power lines out from under it!
  20. cogger

cogger Member

1st snow this eve. Heavy wet 3 inches like cement paste around 1500ft sea sevel. Started out in the 50's with heavy rain , lighting strikes... Wind shifted then turn over to snow with lightning!!!!!!!!! What a show
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.