First Stack, Tree ID Help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OpenWater

Aug 30, 2009
Catskills
Just had my first splitting and stacking experience, and thought I'd post a few pics. I did not get too much done, but I would not have been as near as productive had I not spent time on here reading posts about equipment and splitting. Hopefully these pics will post OK. I split primarily two types of wood. One type I am pretty sure is red oak; quite heavy and dense. The other is much lighter in color and in weight. Can anyone ID the wood in the close-up? I realize there is not a lot to go by!!

Cheers,

Chris

Attachments

• Uncovered Stack (Small).jpg
    Uncovered Stack (Small).jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 471
  • Wood (Small).jpg
    Wood (Small).jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 461
And another...

Attachments

• Stack (Small).jpg
    Stack (Small).jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 440
I'll guess silver maple.

How long was that all sitting in logs or rounds before you split it? Looks like you got a lot of bark-free stuff there, very good!

No bark is good! I'll take that! :) I was wondering about that; seems like it would dry better that way. Came off quite easily while splitting. Wood was in a pile of 20 trunks or so, for about 1.5 years and left over from the original clearing of our lot. I'm just getting around to tackling the pile now. I cut rounds about a month ago and then split last weekend. The red oak is about 30% moisture and the maple is low 20's. How does silver maple burn? Seems like it would go up pretty fast; it reminds me of those balsa wood planes I made when I was a kid.

The rest of the pile is a mixture of oak and pine, as far as I can tell. And oh yes, I've read plenty of pine threads on this forum. I see a fire pit in my future. ;-)

I also split some fresher stuff, at around 40%, much wetter than my wood the was cut 1.5 years ago. I am surprised at how much wood can dry, even when uncut and unsplit. I hope what I'm splitting now will be my 10/11 wood!

Cheers,

Chris

+1 Silver Maple

Use that pine for kindling and burning in your stove. Not for a fire pit! Pound for pound all wood has about the same BTU's. Wood burning in your stove heats your house better than wood burning in your yard!

Keep reading you will learn a lot from this Forum.

+1 on burning the pine. Pine is good. Don't waste it.

Status
Not open for further replies.