first stove...odd splits

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

morpho

Jul 24, 2014
canada
Hey folks,
I just uncrated my brand spanking new Morso 6143!
The manual says the splits need to be: " 3 to 3.5 inches in section "

Does this mean through the...hmmm?

If I split a log in half am I supposed to measure from the outside along where I split to the other side or from the centre through the thickets part?...That sounds confusing for some reason...

Here maybe this will help: Screen Shot 2014-07-24 at 8.55.13 PM.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome, morpho. :) I'd say that means 3.5" on any side but I think a bit bigger would be OK. They probably just want to make sure that the stove will still burn (and won't be returned) if some rookie feeds it wet wood. ;lol BTW, you got dry wood? ==c

Reactions: morpho
Hey Woody,
Thanks.
Oh yah...I have about 4 cords that I bucked up about three years ago...though I need to recut it from the 16 inches I originally did it at. It's a bit of work, but thats fine.
I was originally burning in a homemade rocket mass heater in my temporary shack while I built my little house.

KAhlstrom-2009-11-25-36.jpg

The wood stove is a different critter for sure!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Woody Stover
You must have grown to love the rocket....that Morso has got a similar shape. ;lol The similarity end there, though; That 6143 sounds a refined heating machine. I think you'll like it, and so will your buddy. :cool:

I see I was migrated to a different thread...thats cool...Newby mistake obviously.

You know what Woody?...the rocket was great in the end. It performed like a rock star and kept me from freezing to death for two long cold winters in this:

KAhlstrom-2009-11-25-16.jpg KAhlstrom-2009-12-28-22.jpg

(bet you didn't know there were hillbillies in Canada! A Hillbilly with a Morso 6143....pass the grey poupon)

I would have contemplated putting another Rocket in the new house except the footprint was way too big for the little place I built.

Now the Morso on the other hand is tiny....and SOLID. I have to say I have never come across something that felt so...so...perfect. I knew it the first second I swung the door open.
Can't wait to instal her.

Which leads me to the next question...which I will make a new thread for...

Reactions: Billybonfire
Status
Not open for further replies.