First Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodsman416

Burning Hunk
Oct 10, 2013
Kingwood, NJ
First time stove owner here. I got this Lopi Freedom insert from a friend of mine. He was happy to have me take it off his hands.It was left outside for a couple of years and rusted up pretty badly. The fan motor screens and the brass ash shelf trim was crushed in. It was missing one door pin and half of the firebbrick was broken or gone. A lot of wirebrushing and sanding, several coats of paint, some fine hammer work and a stop at TSC for firebick and she's almost ready to go. I also orderd in a door glass with an elk etched into it.Unfortunatley I didn't take any pictures of the "before" condition but here's what it looks like now.

Last edited:
Looks like a brand new stove. You did a heck of a job on it. Love that glass. I'm sorry now I didn't get that glass when I bought my stove. Are you going to put the surround on it?

Beautiful. Very nice work. How is it connected to the chimney...I hope you had it inspected and installed a liner and a block-off plate? Rick

That is sharp ! That glass looks great with your hearth and decor.

Looks like a brand new stove. You did a heck of a job on it. Love that glass. I'm sorry now I didn't get that glass when I bought my stove. Are you going to put the surround on it?

I looked at the surround for it. The 8" surround will just about cover up the brass trim that I left from the fireplace doors. My wife and I like the brass so the jury is still out.

Last edited:
Well done, the stove looks like new.

Beautiful. Very nice work. How is it connected to the chimney...I hope you had it inspected and installed a liner and a block-off plate? Rick

New stainless insulated pipe and block off to be professionally installed a week from today. Than we can fire that baby up!

Last edited:
Reactions: fossil
Nice job woodman, she looks right at home there. Your fireplace is a beauty too.

It's all really sweet - the etched glass is like the icing on the cake. I didn't even know you could do that - is that something unique to Lopi stoves? Almost makes me wanna break the glass on my stove....

Reactions: raybonz
My BK needs a glass like that!lol

Nice!

the etched glass is like the icing on the cake. I didn't even know you could do that - is that something unique to Lopi stoves?
Yep so far only seen it with the lopi stoves. They used to offer a duck or a goose (not sure which it was) scene but now you can only get the elk

With the glass being black 90 percent of the time it would really stand out ;)
roflmao.gif

I looked at the surond for it. The 8" surround will just about cover up the brass trim that I left from the fireplace doors. My wife and I like the brass so the jury is still out.
I don't like the looks of surrounds. Paint the fire box black. Have them use black pipe in the firebox. With the block off plate there won't be any heat loss up the chimney. No need for a surround and increased thermal mass around the stove will give you longer, softer heat in your home. Looks like new, great job.

Wow your insert looks fantastic! Amazing what some elbow grease and a little paint can do and the etched glass looks awesome too.. The fireplace itself looks super as well.. Enjoy!

Ray

Thinking that every time you light up the stove the poor elk will look like its in middle of a forest fire. ;)

Now for the serious side . . . nice job on the restoration. It's a beauty.

Reactions: raybonz
Status
Not open for further replies.