First Sucessful Scronge

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
K. Ryan said:
Good comment on the Guy thing. I'll be more careful in the future. Just last night I was taking with a friend who was telling me about his girlfriend's ability to help him with all aspects of acquiring wood (fell, cut, slit and stack) so I won't make that assumption agian.

Thanks for all the feedback, especially on the importance of chain sharpening and the feedback on that subject.

Also, I have a couple of mauls I split with and broke a handle on one and the head flew off on the other while I was splitting the other day. I'm in the process of fixing both but was wondering what hand splitting devises are recommended by ya'll. I was at Lowes today buying another wood handle and looked at a True Temper 4 Lb. Super Wood Splitter with 36" Fiberglass Handle which I almost got but have heard that the fiberglass handles can get brittle and break easily in the cold?

For hand splitting a lot of guys swear by the Fiskars Splitting Ax . . . they are pricey, but I believe near indestructible and folks say they work very well . . . of course nothing quite beats a hydraulic splitter. ;)

Alfred huh . . . yeah . . . Northern Massachusetts . . . but I won't hold that against ya. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.