First sweeping on the Oslo

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wallace

Oct 8, 2011
Prescott, AZ
When I got off shift this morning I came home and found the stove cold (wife didn't load it past 6pm last night). So I reached in and used a 10mm wrench to loosen the top plate and removed it. Took about 5 mins. I then got up on the roof and removed the chimney cap. The cap had some fine black soot on it as well as the pipe about 3 feet down. Using a flashlight I could see all the way down and there wasn't much soot past three feet down the pipe. I ran the brush down and up three times, replaced the cap and went in to the stove. There was about a cup of fine black dust in the back of the stove. I used a shop vac to suck it out and clean the ash off the mat. I replaced the oval plate and screwed it back down. Took about 30mins total. Really easy to do.

And it sounds like you're burning pretty cleanly.

Nice Wallace. Keep on checking it from time to time.

Wallace said:
When I got off shift this morning I came home and found the stove cold (wife didn't load it past 6pm last night). So I reached in and used a 10mm wrench to loosen the top plate and removed it. Took about 5 mins. I.

could you get by with loosening just the front bolt, or did you have to loosen the rear one, by the flue collar, as well?
I still havnt tried it yet.

Blue Vomit said:
Wallace said:
When I got off shift this morning I came home and found the stove cold (wife didn't load it past 6pm last night). So I reached in and used a 10mm wrench to loosen the top plate and removed it. Took about 5 mins. I.

could you get by with loosening just the front bolt, or did you have to loosen the rear one, by the flue collar, as well?
I still havnt tried it yet.
I tried to lift the plate off after loosening the front clip and it didn't budge. It was just as easy to loosen the back clip though! Was really pretty easy and straight forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.