first time burn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 21, 2007
Chelmsford, Ma
hey guys,just got inspected today...ready to fire it up....how long should the first time burn be?

Mine has been three days so far, hahahaha. :) Nothing too crazy, smaller fire at first.

no problem at all...he was in and out quick...how long should i burn it for? couple hours? should i not go over a certain temp? wow this thing stinks now...pu

First burn should go until somewhere around the first week in April. Hang out around five hundred degrees.

Open the windows.

he didnt even take a tape measure in....i was just sitting next to the stove and i heard a big ping noise...is that normal? and just now another one

Yep. Steel getting hot. If it does it a lot and they are loud, level the stove.

the stove got really hot quick..i cant believe the stove temp when up to 700..i almost craped myself...i have the gauge on the upper side of the stove ..is that the right place to take the temp?

FJLayes625 said:
the stove got really hot quick..i cant believe the stove temp when up to 700..i almost craped myself...i have the gauge on the upper side of the stove ..is that the right place to take the temp?

Take the temp either on the step top between the flue collar and the step or on the front of the step. On the side of the stove on each side are two areas front to back that are exposed directly to the firebox. Above those areas are the secondary air manifolds and below them are the fire brick. Because they are exposed directly those two areas get mighty darned hot. Hottest spots on the stove.

I am a first time burner as well. My temp gauges are in 2 spots, 1 on cooktop in the center and one about a foot up the single wall chimney. I try to keep cooktop around 500 which leaves the stack at about 250..... I don't think my stove likes running there... the thing I am trying to get used to is shutting down at 500.....it cooling to 400 before climbing (completely closed down) to 600+ then settling down.

ya i put the gauge in the middle of the top and it reading 500 ..... its 30 degrees outside and 80 degrees inside about 20 ft away from the stove with a very small fire...this thing is great!!

mmm got to love the smell of paint curing :sick: smells like the gas co is getting less of your hard earned money
the good part is the smell will stop before the first week of April (if you burn it all night it will probably not be smelling the place up tomorrow)

Status
Not open for further replies.