First time chimney sweep - pics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

newburner

Burning Hunk
Aug 26, 2014
Massachusetts
So I decided that I was never going to scrape up the $200 to get my chimney swept before we start 24/7 burning this year so I decided to go down to Ace, get a brush, poles, and do it myself.

Here are some before, after and what ended up in the firebox pics. Looks like it was pretty bad.

uploadfromtaptalk1445202832216.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1445202842439.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1445202849560.jpg

Reactions: Woody harrelson
There was a fair amount in there but nothing to be overly concerned about. How many cords had burned in there? When was the last time it was swept? I will likely end up doing mine this weekend...

I believe (IMHO) that the TYPE of soot/creosote is more important than the AMOUNT (quality vs quantity). Yours is brown and fluffy. That is GOOD. It means you're burning properly. Compared to black, tar-ish goooey or hard black.

Cheers!!

Andrew

Guess it was time. Did you drop the baffles and tubes after? Lotta crap gets stuck up there after brushing.

How many cords had burned in there? When was the last time it was swept?

2 cords. First time ever swept as I just had it installed last summer.

Guess it was time. Did you drop the baffles and tubes after? Lotta crap gets stuck up there after brushing.
No, I just stacked the baffles on top of each other and moved them to the front away from the flue. Then after I swept, I held them vertically to dump whatever had fallen on them.

It is likely that your wood wasn't optimal in moisture content. But as I said, from what I see, things are looking good!
Since you're so good at sweeping, wanna come sweep mine? lol

Andrew

Heh. I doubt my chimney has ever been that clean.

Good to be able to clean your own chimney. Cleaning needs to be done at regular intervals. Chances are you'll do it more often than if your paying for it.

You're right, it should be done at a regular interval. But once you're used to your stove and everything becomes a science, you know your intervals much better and don't need to spot check anymore. BUt that takes years to reach that point. I believe when you first start heating with wood, you should check your stack monthly.

Andrew

Nice pic's looks like your burning hot enough, if that pile in your stove was black and shiny I would say change your burning habits, but brown fluff is indicative to warm flue temps and seasoned wood.
After cleaning that flue I highly doubt you will ever relie on paying some else to do that job.

Status
Not open for further replies.