First time cleaning chimney after liner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 23, 2010
N.W. Iowa
Hey gang, its been a long time since I have stopped in. I took every ones advise and last summer installed a SS liner for my new stove. It made all the difference in the world on start ups and getting secondary burns. I cleaned the chimney for the first time this fall after a years worth of burning last winter. I had about 1/2 of gal. ice cream bucket of soot. The soot was very fine, light brown in color. I used to get about the same amount but it was a hard black material. I was just wondering if this seems like the right amount. I usually burn about 4 or 5 loads of wood per year.

Doesn't sound bad to me at all.

mdocod said:
Just make sure you are using a poly brush, and not a steel brush in there. The steel brushes will wear out a SS chimney.

That is what I am using. I had to cut down a six inch brush to make it fit into my 5 inch liner.

mdocod said:
Just make sure you are using a poly brush, and not a steel brush in there. The steel brushes will wear out a SS chimney.

Complete BS

Status
Not open for further replies.