First time holz hausens....how long will they last?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Kbrown, here is one more little tidbit on the soft maples. They are one of the rare ones that will dry in log form! We many times will cut soft maple during January-March for the deer. They love the buds and will clean up several trees in one night. So when we have a hard winter, we give them treats to help them through the worst of the winter, which is late winter. Leave them 2 years and the whole thing will be dry and actually some will begin to turn to punk by then. Still good enough for firewood but leave them 3 years and one may as well leave them in the woods. Cut them up right away, split and stack them and you have wood for many, many moons without going punky. Danged pretty leaves in the fall too.

that's some experience talking there

It's in the works. Need a patient person to hand me slabs while on a step ladder
As long a I have a free hand for a beer, I'm the guy you need.

KC

I think a holz hausen is a great way to season your wood slowly, attract more pests and get rid of your ugly pieces. I tried one for a year and pulled it apart. Everything in the middle looked like it was just split. Most of the wood had aged like it was in a single stack for 6 months instead of 12 months. Only about 4" of the outer ends of the splits looked weathered. There were a couple of nests built by mice and 2 snake skins. Spiders were many and huge. IMO if you want something that looks great, takes longer to season and takes up less space then go for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.