First time install with harman p38

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sofaking

Jan 15, 2014
WI
Found a used harmon p38 and looking to do my first install. The side of the house is facing west and had a new construction style gas fp previously. Going to run the pipes through that hole and back the stove up slightly under the old mantle. The wife doesn't want the mantle tore down, she likes to put stuff on it. The manual shows a few different ways to run the exhaust pipes.

My questions are:
1. Can I do a horizontal exhaust pipe?
2. Is it necessary to do an outside air intake?
3. What style termination end since exiting the house due west?
4. Can I buy most parts at fleet farm, home depot, or menards to do the install or go to a dealer?
5. If a oak is necessary is it worth buying the harmon direct vent wall passthrough kit or should I get a 3pvp-wti style?

I want to do this the right way.

Thanks in advance

First of all, welcome. If you are going to be a HarmAn owner, you have to learn to spell it correctly. We are very sensitive about that. If you can easily install the OAK, do it. The HarmAn kit is sweet. I believe you can go straight out but there are other venting experts here than can help you with that. Don't cheap out on the pipe. Use the good stuff such as Selkirk or ICC.

A lot of stoves are installed with just horizontal venting. If it is short it may not be a problem if you have a power outage. The vertical is recommended to help natural draft if the stove has no power to remove the smoke and not into home. Venting is not cheap but like the stove, is a long term investment.

I looked at a Harman dealer the other day and noticed they had the pieces from the stove to a "T" with clean out , then a long pipe out the wall. Now I understand these are temporary for display and don't run all the time. But is this acceptable for long term use?

I installed my first stove, a Harman P43 on New Years day.​
I used Excel venting from ICC. I used a 1' section off the stove adapter, a 45* elbow and a 3' horizontal run with a 45 degree termination.
This makes for an easy, clean install, but with the lack of natural draft, you should use a battery backup to exhaust the smoke during a power outage.
Not sure which software/board version you need from Harman, but mine senses the outage, and surges the combustion blower till the smoke is exhausted, however, to my knowledge,these will not operate the stove other than what I just described. We live in the woods and do get frequent short power outages, so it gives me enough time to switch over to our generator.
medium.jpg

medium.jpg

medium.jpg

Reactions: sofaking
Look on the internet and DL a P38 owners manual. It will give you venting recommendations.

Did you do a outside air intake?
Is the outside air intake necessary?

I installed my first stove, a Harman P43 on New Years day.​
I used Excel venting from ICC. I used a 1' section off the stove adapter, a 45* elbow and a 3' horizontal run with a 45 degree termination.
This makes for an easy, clean install, but with the lack of natural draft, you should use a battery backup to exhaust the smoke during a power outage.
Not sure which software/board version you need from Harman, but mine senses the outage, and surges the combustion blower till the smoke is exhausted, however, to my knowledge,these will not operate the stove other than what I just described. We live in the woods and do get frequent short power outages, so it gives me enough time to switch over to our generator.
medium.jpg

medium.jpg

medium.jpg

Mine comes out to a cleanout "T"..3 feet vertical, and a termination cap. I also have an OAK. No smoke issues with power outages.

Did you do a outside air intake?
Is the outside air intake necessary?

I did not use the outside intake kit, yet. We were in a hurry to get the stove installed, and the shop where we picked up the vent pipe did not have the thimble with the integrated oak in stock.
I plan on installing it after the burning season.
Is it necessary? I can't answer that question, ours is running fine without it, although it will probably be more efficient with one.

Do you have any moisture issues with having an OAK?

A little. Some condensation, but I laid ceramic tile under the OAK...and just let it evaporate. Not really a problem. I would definitely advise installing an OAK. Just my $0.02

Status
Not open for further replies.