First time need help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tjones2507

Sep 24, 2014
Indiana
hello everyone I just bought a house last year it has a older buck stove 26000 I used it last winter helped a ton so I found another one at a yard sale for $150 so I grabbed it but it doesn't have the stack on top so I need to buy that after that what kind of pipe can I use to connect to that and run out my garage roof is the double wall stainless pipe at menards ok A Fires Place told me I could use that because it was too old of a stove I don't want to burn anything down thanks for any help.

You need to use a class a chimney system to go through floors walls or roofs. What ever brand you choose will have instructions and they make all the parts you will need. If you show pics we can probably help you lay it out.

Do I need to use class A from the stove to the tip or just whatever goes through the roof and ceiling?

Also I know the buck stove had a adjustable flue but can I just leave that open and get one that goes in the pipe itself I feel u can adjust it better with that

Last edited by a moderator:
Just once it goes through something I dont know the stove so i cant comment on weather to use a stack damper or not

From the appliance to chimney is called connector pipe. Single wall pipe has a clearance to combustible of 18 inches. If closer than that, double wall pipe is required and can be as close as 6 inches.

I believe you are referring to a damper in the pipe.

What about putting one of those heat reclaimer's on the pipe above or below the damper are those any good?

no don't do it they increase creosote buildup greatly they take to much heat off of the exhaust and the creosote condenses out

Usually it is placed about 18" above the stove top.

Status
Not open for further replies.