First Time Out

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Firefighter938

Feeling the Heat
Dec 25, 2014
Central Indiana
I broke a couple vertibra in my back last summer and it sidelined me for several months. I hadn't cut any wood since last season and it was painful thinking about all the wood I was burning but not replacing.

Today I decided to give it a try and cleaned up some mulberry I had cut to 4' lengths and stacked last year. I c/s/s for a couple of hours until my son got hungry and it was time for lunch.
image.jpeg

I thought about calling it a day, but then my daughter and her friend wanted to go to my parents house and play in the woods. I had a stack over there that had fallen over so I took them and restacked it. Then I cut down a 14" ash tree, bucked it, and cleaned up the brush.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Not bad for a day's work. We will see how my back feels in the morning.

Great work. Hope your morning isn't too painful.

Reactions: Jeffm1
How is the back?

Glad to hear the back was doing good. Nothing worse than back pain, makes just everyday living painful. Great to see your back at it!

Glad you are back in the saddle!

Always good to be able to get back to normal activity after an illness or injury - I'm glad your back feels good. I'm sure you were kind of eager to get back at it!

Great news!!
I, like the "new" medical community prescribe to the "use it or lose it" theory.
Sitting around too long just makes it harder to get "back" into full motion and off the pain meds.

Y'all already know my story and using splitting gently at first to rehab my injury.
Off my meds and feeling great!
CheapAndOnYourSide

Reactions: mwhitnee and Jeffm1
Great news!!
I, like the "new" medical community prescribe to the "use it or lose it" theory.
Sitting around too long just makes it harder to get "back" into full motion and off the pain meds.

Y'all already know my story and using splitting gently at first to rehab my injury.
Off my meds and feeling great!
CheapAndOnYourSide
I thought the new "medical community " just prescribed pot for everything...

Glad to hear your back is well. Have had similar problems. It's great to be back to full activity.

Good job, glad you are on the mend and can do somewhat what you want to do. I had a ruptured L5-S1 in 2007, so I know what you are dealing with; not only do back injuries hurt you physically they hurt mentally too, "will I be able to do this or that again", "how long will this take to heal", "will I be like I was before" etc., mind games, but with exercise and positive attitudes we can overcome it, I am pretty good now but have other aches and pains at 56 now too lol !

Glad you are able to get out there, just take it easy, pace yourself and don't overdo it but you already know that !

Thanks all. Back injuries are one thing I tried to avoid from seeing so many of my friends deal with them. Unfortunately, it found me. The good thing is it could have been much worse and wasn't. I followed Drs orders and doing daily exercises and stretches I feel much better.

I have been out several more times and have accomplished a lot. I don't go out first thing in the morning with a packed lunch yet, but I will get back to that.