first time owner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kimberly322

Nov 4, 2015
colorado
So my husband picked up this stove from one of his customers and it has been a basement for a long time, unused. We now have it installed and burning but I am curious about the history of this model. I have been searching online and only come up with one similar image of our stove. The house we got the stove from has a pretty cool historical story and I would love to know more about the stove itself.

Attachments

• 1446693884745.jpg
    1446693884745.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 405
Reactions: Todd67
Can't tell you what brand stove it is or anything about it. I will warn you that a lot of people will probably be along to tell you that it's not a current EPA certified model and you shouldn't be using it etc. Just want to warn you.

Moving this thread to the Fischer stove forum. Where they know it well.

looks like a fisher coal bear to me. They were designed to burn coal so they are pretty good coal stoves but lousy wood stoves

It was the only coal stove made by Fisher. Not all licensed fabricators made the model. (Yours may have a UL tag on the back shield with manufacturer listed in Woodland Park CO.) The grates are reversible for coal (slotted) or flipped flat for wood. (rotate with shaker handle) 1980 -'81 was the first year produced. Anthracite coal ; or short wood. (you can burn wood in any coal stove, but they are designed to get air up through the coal bed and will burn wood very fast) With grates rotated flat for wood burning, use the upper intake more than lower for slower burn. The upper air intake on upper door is for oxygen to ignite coal gas as it is expelled from fresh coal. It only needs to be opened slightly with coal use. (solid) It should be connected to an insulated 6 inch chimney flue.

Most stoves found of this model are missing the grates or ventilated liner. They were available with black painted door, or optional nickel or brass plated door. Production ceased in 1988 due to EPA emission standards of wood stoves. It is UL listed and legal for use.
Thread below with cast iron liner and grate pictures;
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/questions-on-a-coal-bear.137635/

Coal Bear in my collection curing paint below;

Coal Bear Painted 4.JPG

Brochure with installation specs;

Coal Bear Brochure Front.JPG Brochure Specs 2.JPG Brochure Specs 3.JPG

Nickel plated door;

Coal Bear nickel 1-2015.JPG

Reactions: Todd67
Status
Not open for further replies.