First Time Pellet Insert liner Owner Newbie Questions!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jgcable

Jan 24, 2010
Milford, CT
Hello Everybody, first post. Woohoo. I just bought a used Pellet Stove Insert. The company is The Earth Stove. It has a thermostat and a really nice control panel inside of a hinged door on the right surround bezel. It didn't come with any instruction or installation manual. The model says 2001-1. Its a 2007. The guy I bought it from told me it heats 1800sq. Its VERY nice.
My dad called his local wood and pellet stove store and told them my situation. My house is a 1932. It has a fireplace running right up the middle of it. My fireplace is on the first floor in the living room. I also have second floor and a walk up attic. My fireplace was just cleaned and pointed and reflashed and is in great shape. It also has a top hat on it to keep the rain out. My fireplace also has a large trap door dampner on it with a lever sticking out of the front brick. I assume that is called the flue dampner. My fireplace floor has a trap door that opens and there is a clean out on the side of the chimney in the basement. The guy told him I should buy a 10' section of 3" flexpipe and I will be good to go. He said I only have to extend the pipe as high as the second floor
and I will be good to go. I talked to another guy today and he said I have to get an adapter that bolts to the insert itself and that is what I connect the pipe to.
I get a different answer from just about everybody I ask or read about online. My roof is very steep and I would need to hire somebody to walk up to the chimney if the pipe has to be put in from the top. If I could use flex pipe like the guy told my dad I could do it from the inside myself. I just want to do it correctly but I don't want to spend more than I have too. This is just for supplemental heat. My main source of heat is gas fired hot water heaters.
Thanks in advance!

jgcable said:
.....The guy told him I should buy a 10' section of 3" flexpipe and I will be good to go. He said I only have to extend the pipe as high as the second floor and I will be good to go. I talked to another guy today and he said I have to get an adapter that bolts to the insert itself and that is what I connect the pipe to.......I get a different answer from just about everybody I ask or read about online........I just want to do it correctly but I don't want to spend more than I have too. This is just for supplemental heat. My main source of heat is gas fired hot water heaters. Thanks in advance!

First of all, welcome to the forum.

I don't know anything about your brand of stove, but I hope you had the original owner start it up and let it burn for a while so you know it works.

You said you want to do it correctly, so you need stainless liner that goes all the way to the top of the chimney, and then a plate to attach the liner to, and a cap on top. The person who said you could stop it part way up is wrong. The "adapter" that you mentioned I don't know about....you may need it.

Not having an owners manual is not good. Hopefully someone on here might know where you can get one. Try here....they may have one:

http://woodheatstoves.com/earth-stove-parts-c-292_90_221_168.html

macman said:
jgcable said:
.....The guy told him I should buy a 10' section of 3" flexpipe and I will be good to go. He said I only have to extend the pipe as high as the second floor and I will be good to go. I talked to another guy today and he said I have to get an adapter that bolts to the insert itself and that is what I connect the pipe to.......I get a different answer from just about everybody I ask or read about online........I just want to do it correctly but I don't want to spend more than I have too. This is just for supplemental heat. My main source of heat is gas fired hot water heaters. Thanks in advance!

First of all, welcome to the forum.

I don't know anything about your brand of stove, but I hope you had the original owner start it up and let it burn for a while so you know it works.

You said you want to do it correctly, so you need stainless liner that goes all the way to the top of the chimney, and then a plate to attach the liner to, and a cap on top. The person who said you could stop it part way up is wrong. The "adapter" that you mentioned I don't know about....you may need it.

Not having an owners manual is not good. Hopefully someone on here might know where you can get one. Try here....they may have one:

http://woodheatstoves.com/earth-stove-parts-c-292_90_221_168.html

I didn't have the guy start it because he wasn't the original owner. He got it from somebody else. He told me that a guy came a week before and plugged it in and it fired right up and burned nice. He had some pics of it burning. It was in a storage garage when I bought it. Its a few years old. The Earth Stove company was purchased by Lennox and they stopped making the brand.
I already have a cap on the top of my chimney. This sounds VERY complicated. Darn.

jgcable said:
I didn't have the guy start it because he wasn't the original owner. He got it from somebody else. He told me that a guy came a week before and plugged it in and it fired right up and burned nice. He had some pics of it burning. It was in a storage garage when I bought it. Its a few years old. The Earth Stove company was purchased by Lennox and they stopped making the brand. I already have a cap on the top of my chimney. This sounds VERY complicated. Darn.
A third hand stove...oh boy.... :roll: I have my fingers crossed for you.

The cap on the top of the chimney isn't the right type for a pellet stove. You need this:

Attachments

• 704_large.jpg
    704_large.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 278
Welcome jgcable,

I know nothing about your particular stove however most pellet devices have an adapter that is attached to the stove exhaust that is what the vent pipe is attached to. The adapter goes by several names, appliance adapter and stove adapter are two of the names. It fits over the exhaust pipe of the stove, a layer of high temperature silicon sealant is put around the pipe and the adapter is inserted over the exhaust pipe, the adapter is then secured by 3 self taping screws. Your venting attaches to the adapter.

How you vent the insert is covered in the installation manual for the stove.

Get the manual and follow it, in most places it is the code and must be followed. Not following it can lead to safety issues and problems with insurance companies.

The manual is going to be essential...Depending on your area, the bldg inspector will want to see the mfg specs before signing off on the install. I would imagine that the specs are going to call for a liner that goes to the top of the chimney...although not all do. However, the full liner is going to give you better performance.

Did some searching and it appears that The Earth Stove company may have been purchased by Lennox...you may want to contact them to see about getting manuals.

Model is a " The Earth Stove" # NF2000i

I found the owners manual download for $9.95 and I am downloading it now.
Basically they had an NF2000 which is freestanding and an NF2000i which is the (i) fireplace insert version.
It is a beautiful stove that was lightly used for only 2 seasons.
There are directions on the stove regarding venting but they aren't complete.
As I thought.. this forum is already steering me in the right direction.

I want to make sure its installed correctly but money is really tight because of the economy. Thats why I bought the stove.. to help make the house more comfortable considering I heat it with gas fired steam radiators and never have the thermostat above 65 which makes the house fairly cold all the time. I figured with the pellet insert in the living room we could at least have a comfortable 1st floor where we all spend most of the time. Also... since heat rises maybe the upstairs will be a little more comfortable.

Status
Not open for further replies.