First Time pellet Stove Owner/Poster

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Daveman

Oct 22, 2014
Nova Scotia Canada
Hi All! Thanks in advance for all I learned here before installing the 25pdvc over the last week. After converting from oil to electric in 2005, we finally decided to add a pellet stove to the home office area I'm building in the former furnace room of our house.....the fun started with the removal of the old oil furnace dormant for a decade....

IMG-20140921-00414.jpg
...and that left me with this convenient corner:
IMG-20141004-00423.jpg
...which turned into a raised hearth (plywood, cement board & then ceramic tile) for the 25pdvc:
IMG-20141018-00471.jpg
Saying hi to the neighbors through thimble hole:
IMG-20141019-00473.jpg
and vented!!! :
IMG-20141019-00479.jpg
After installing 3 inch OAK, now camping out in front of the stove with a brew:
IMG-20141022-00486.jpg
The only issue I have is the slightest (really small) smoke smell on start up which vanishes in minutes...not including the lovely chemical scent of the new stove burning in. I'll take a flashlight to the piping again this weekend to see any obvious leaks, but I did RTV all the joints in the Selkirk PL pipe & saw nothing last night on start-up. I do feel their universal "adapter" included in the kit I bought is a leak waiting to happen, but regardless there is no smoke smell at all after the flue warms up. CO detector is rock on "0" too.

The good news...our semi-detached home is 2 levels + basement rec room and with the stove on, no fans, no changes, the heat flows upstairs easily through the stairwell even though the stove was installed as a space heater only....rec room is at an uncomfortably warm 89F right now with the 25pdvc on 5-5....and I'll happily suffer the heat...an excuse for a beer :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats on your new addition. Nice looking install.

Status
Not open for further replies.