First time poster looking for advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SolomonsCommune

Dec 6, 2014
Maryland
First off, thanks to all of you who make this forum possible. I've been lurking around here for a couple months now and you guys seem to be quite the wealth of information, especially to a newbie like myself.

I've never had a wood stove in my home before. I've put some money away and been telling myself this is the summer to get one. I live in Maryland so it's not as harsh a climate in the winter as most of you probably see. I plan on using my stove, at least in the beginning, to heat the house at night and full time during the weekend. I'm sure as the more comfortable I get using the stove I may move to using it full time during the winter. I'd just like to get my dual heat pump system some help/ drive the electric bill down a bit.

It's been hard to figure out what to get. I see so many large stoves with good reviews and start to lean one way or another, then I'll see something negative about that stove and then you start to wonder if it is indeed the right choice. Right now I'm looking at either the Summit or the AT6 both by Pacific Energy.

I'm a carpenter by trade and work for a custom home builder. I built the house in 2011 so it's pretty new and has decent insulation. I was actually toying around with the idea of a masonry heater when I built the house but didn't have the money then to put one in, nor do I have that much money now ha.... but I had designed the house with that idea in mind and am hoping it may work alright with a wood stove as well. It's about 2600 sq ft. It's basically a two story rectangle, with an 11ft x 10ft hole in the center of the 2nd story where the stairs go up.There is a half wall surrounding the opening. My main living area (dining/kitchen/familyroom) is upstairs along with the master bedroom.

It's 14ft from what would be the top of the stove before it reaches my 2nd story ceiling. Then another 6 to 8 ft to get through the roof. Being the center of the house, it's going to be real close to coming through at the peak when it penetrates the roof. Basically placing the woodstove near where it shows the rectangle against my steps going up.

1st floor.jpg 2nd floor.jpg
So, my questions are:

1. I see long runs of chimney/double wall stovepipe on here quite often. I assume that running up 14ft, then through a ceiling, then 7ft to the roofline can be done safely?

2. Should I make use of the outside air kit? I have my downstairs air return in the stairwell wall right to the left of where my hearth is going to be, and my upstairs return is in the main room ceiling near the master bdroom door. I feel like I would love to run my recirculation fans just to move some of that warm air into the bedrooms, but I've read things can get weird with the stove trying to pull air into it to make heat and your return sitting 3 ft away is pulling air into it too... just don't know if anyone else uses their heat and air system to circulate their wood stove heat and if so, do they use the outside air kit?

3. How much, of course ball park figure, do you guys think pipe and installation would be. Already looking to spend 3000 on a stove, then like up to 24ft of chimney and installation?

4. Any other stoves I should be looking at? I picked these two PE stoves for their size and because I like the reduced clearances they offer. I love the look of the Summit Classic but having not seen in person either of these stoves, wonder if the colored metal surrounding the Summit Classic is thin and cheap looking?

Sorry for the long winded post. As a carpenter I don't make a ton of money and if I'm going to drop 5 + thousand dollars on something like this I want to get as much info as possible. My wife and I will be headed to Annapolis the wkend after memorial day wkend to look at stoves for the first time, and just figured I'd tap into the knowledge of the community here to answer the couple questions I had. Thanks for any help ahead of time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like a basic four-square plan with a second first floor bedroom instead of a parlor. The location is good but a lot of the heat is going to go upstairs due to the central location next to the stairs, the chimney like stairwell shaft and the closed off 1st fl rooms. A lot of the first floor space is hall ways which don't usually need as much heat. That said, a convective stove looks like a good idea. How well insulated are the walls and attic?

The walls are decently insulated. I couldnt afford foam or anything... just batted. The ceiling is 11 to 12 inches of blown. I agree that the heat will travel upstairs. Thats why I was wondering about the issues with pushing heat around with my air handler. Especially since my crawl space is conditioned... thanks for reply btw

The convective stove that begreen refers to is really hard to know unless you know stoves, but one tell is how close you can place the stove to a wall. If you are allowed to place it close to a wall it has convective shielding around the firebox. Basically a large house will need a large firebox, over 3 cu ft, and you should favor one with small required clearances because it will mean a design with better convective heat distribution.There are lots of nice stoves in the 3 cu ft + range so take some time to look around and find one that suits you and yours.

The Summit would be a good choice. The T6 is essentially the same stove with a cast-iron jacket giving you some more thermal capacity, a more classical look and a cooktop. I would also take a look at the Jotul F55 which is very similar in size, look and performance. I have not seen any bad reviews about it so far but many happy members here (try a forum search). Jotul had recently a coupon on their website. I would check if that is still the case. With that it may come a bit cheaper than the T6.

With that tall flue and given that your home does not seem overly airtight you will probably have enough draft without an OAK. That central location would also make it difficult to put one in. Check your local building codes if you can install a stove so close to an air return. When I remember that correctly it needs to be at least 10 ft from the stove. You don't want to generate a reverse draft that pulls smoke and CO into your home.

Not mentioned- is the large amount of cold air flow down the stairs from the second story area - so in your case I do not think an oak is warranted - but that also depends on how tightly sealed the home is from outside air infiltration. Negative internal pressure can have a large effect on your flue draft. Particularly when starting from a cold stove/flue. According to what you have written and the drawings you are placing stove on the second level - or is this in fact the main ground level with and exposed or walkout type basement area - I am a bit confused by the drawings

Sorry for the confusion. The stove will be on the 1st floor In the nook created by the turn in the stairs. I guess the second story pic shows the stairwell still saying " up." The 2nd story picture is one large open toom on right and master bdrm on left.

If your house is well insulated oak would be a good idea. Did you think about cat stoves like bk princess? It has a convection top and due to it's steady extended burns would do great in a well insulated house in a mild climate.

There are definitely people who use their heat/air system to circulate wood heat. However I would be nervous with the air return so close to the stove. Perhaps you know a reputable store/installer who could take a look at your house and offer suggestions.
I would go with a 2.5-3.0 cubic ft stove. The Jotul F55 has worked well for me, and I have a short chimney. That stove would probably love your long chimney. You also can't go wrong with PE.
My advice would be to find a dealer first, then choose the stove from them that fits your specs. With your air return situation I would get some professional advice.

By code the heating system return air grille must be at least 10 ft from the wood stove.

Sorry it's been a week since my last post. A weekend in WV with my father for Memorial Day, and then a crazy week home getting back to normal with a 2 year old that's having fun making his parents life 'interesting' ha...

Thank you guys for all the advice you've given me. My wife and I went to a semi local 'Hearth shop' and looked and the brands of stoves that they carried. Of course my wife fell in love with the Brown Glazed Manchester stove by Hearthstone. I told her that if we were to purchase that stove it would probably just be the black version and she conceded at least to that. So now come these questions...

1st:
Does anyone here have anything to say about the Manchester Stove? I saw it and liked it over the past 6 months of research but didn't see many reviews. The one review here on Hearth.com isn't too promising but it's from a couple years ago, I assume when the Manchester first came out.

2nd:
Begreen, your post is like a stake to my heart ha... does this mean that I cannot put a wood stove there? If so, it's pretty much the straw that breaks the camels back as there is really nowhere else for the thing to go due to doors, windows, decks etc in my house. I know I don't need to get a permit to install a wood stove here in my county but do you think the installer will totally balk at putting a stove within 5 or 6 ft of my return? I understand the what and why, I just wonder if it can be done or not. For a hundred bucks the semi-local shop said they'd send the installer out to do a run through on where it would go, measurements etc which would come off our final bill when we go to have the stove installation. I guess maybe that's what I need to do and see what they say. Not that it matters but I feel safer knowing the house was new in 2011 and that all the detectors in here are both fire and Carbon Monoxide.

Your installer probably won't notice the return, though you may want to check with your insurance company about needing a permit and inspection. FWIW that doesn't mean the inspector will notice the return either.

Thank you guys for all the advice you've given me. My wife and I went to a semi local 'Hearth shop' and looked and the brands of stoves that they carried. Of course my wife fell in love with the Brown Glazed Manchester stove by Hearthstone. I told her that if we were to purchase that stove it would probably just be the black version and she conceded at least to that. So now come these questions...

1st:
Does anyone here have anything to say about the Manchester Stove? I saw it and liked it over the past 6 months of research but didn't see many reviews. The one review here on Hearth.com isn't too promising but it's from a couple years ago, I assume when the Manchester first came out.

I own that Manchester in brown enamel. We have used it for 2 seasons and are thrilled with the stove. It is beautiful, puts out great heat and works easily. As always good, dry wood is the key. I'm the wife and fully start, maintain and load it with no problems. We burn 24/7 as much as possible in the winter and even though we've had 2 cold winters the past 2 years we have not had to turn our house heat on at all (house about 1800 sq ft). Hope that helps.

Reactions: begreen
I have owned the Manchester for three years. I WOULD NOT recommend it. It has developed several problems from warping to cracked stones to rusted and broken screws. Although it does heat well, the quality is suspect in my opinion. Great idea (soap stone within an iron house that looks great) but too temperamental for high time use, fragile really. If you are someone who only heats occasionally that you may have better luck. But I use it to heat my whole house to keep oil payments down, pretty much 24/7 from December through March. I only hope I can get it up and running before the heart of winter. Going to cost me time and money, of which I do not have a lot. Good luck.

These sound like issue covered under warranty. Have they been brought up to the dealer?

Yeah that sounds like a stove that has had the crap fired out of it.

What space are you trying to heat with it?

Call yoir local town inspectors up and ask a few questions also. If they say follow what the instruction say for your stove says then do that. Id also keep in minv the ease of bringing wood inside. Especially if your going to be a 24/7 burner or close to it. I recommend the stove i have, big firebox, super long burn times! Blaze king, King ultra. If you a carpenter you have very glod cutting skills i assume. read the intruction very carefully for your clearances and the install should be easy. Check what type of chimney kit you need for your chimney, i bought from metal fab. Watch some youtube videos too!

My biggest thing is moving the heat around. You gotta play around with fans a lil bight. Open air kit is good to have and Triple check your place,emt of where you can actually put a stove.

I Domt see the return guide on your blueprint..

I marked a dot a un red for a potemtial new spot for stove. Not sure if their is something above thats makes it no mgood.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    66.2 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.