First time stove user

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kayne

Nov 5, 2007
LA
I have browsed around this forum for a while now and reading your posts finally convinced me to buy a wood stove. I grew up heating with wood but we had a fireplace and later an insert and I have built fires at a hunting camp in an old potbelly cast iron stove but I have never used a "modern" stove. I purchased an Alderlea T5 from the Chimney Sweep today and I was wondering if y'all had any tips on using it efficiently. Any info will be appreciated.

Nice buy! Those are beautiful stoves, I looked closely at them. Welcome back to the wood burning world. My tip, use well seasoned and dry wood!

As simple as it may seem, read the manual. You can always learn something new, from the manual, to the old drunk down the street. Keep it simple and build from there.

Lignums said:
... to the old drunk down the street.

Glad to help any time I can.

Funny, I didn't know you were my uncle...

Attachments

• HillbillyTeeth.jpg
    HillbillyTeeth.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 229
Webmaster said:
Chimney, Chimney and Chimney - then wood, wood, wood (dry and seasoned)

What do I need to do to have a good chimney? I haven't been able to locate anyone in my area who is really familiar with installing stove chimneys so I have looked for the parts myself. I plan to use metalbestos 6" class a chimney pipe and double wall interior pipe and purchase the ceiling installation kit. Is there a better system or do I need anything else?

Lignums said:
Funny, I didn't know you were my uncle...

well the season must be upon us , first coffee spill on the keyboard

Status
Not open for further replies.