1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

First time Super Cedar user

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by kayakkeith, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Tiger, very, very few wait for shipping. Thomas is excellent that way. I do not remember for certain but am sure we got our case within a week or less.

Also, 1/4 is plenty to start a fire whether you use some kindling or not. We still use some kindling but not much and last winter I started several fires with no kindling. The Super Cedar did excellent. Get a case and they will last you a long, long time.
    NWfuel and etiger2007 like this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. madison

madison Minister of Fire

Loc:
    41.33°N 74.18°W and 44.67°N 111.0°W
    I bought a case three yrs ago, still have ~ half a case, and probably gave a quarter of those away to friends. Can't do the math to figure the cost per ignition. But the way I figure it, i will buy another case in a cpl yrs....
    NWfuel likes this.
  3. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    But not any others that I know of that make my closets and dresser drawers smell as good. :)
    jjs777_fzr and NWfuel like this.
  4. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    I still use kindling and newspaper . . . but about half the time I also use a quarter of the Super Cedar since they work exceptionally well . . . and while I am very cheap and always think I should just stick to the old kindling I could not help myself and placed an order again this year since it's nice to know you have a near fool-proof way to start a fire any time . . . any where.
    NWfuel likes this.
  5. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    I have no doubt that this works perfectly for you. I do caution using this as a blanket statement. In my config if I left primary air open for 1/2 hour it would melt your face off.

Super Cedars - another form of Alien Technology.:cool:
    HDRock likes this.
  6. firecracker_77

firecracker_77 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NWI office - 2 Heritages; Chicago home - Woodstock
    You bring up a good point. Noted. Every situation is different.
  7. DianeB

DianeB Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Foot Hills of the Berkshires
    The 10% code still facebook?
    NWfuel likes this.
  8. Huntindog1

Huntindog1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    South Central Indiana
    dylskee likes this.
  9. NWfuel

NWfuel Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Mukilteo,Washington
    Diane, you may also use the code "hearth" in the discount code field.

Thank you
    Thomas
  10. dylskee

dylskee Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central MA
    Doh! Wish I saw this before I placed my order..... Oh well, I should have them by tomorrow or Monday I would think.
  11. Treacherous

Treacherous Minister of Fire

Loc:
    WA state
    I made one of those cutters a couple years ago. I used an old PC drive bracket.

[​IMG]
  12. FrankMA

FrankMA Member

Loc:
    Merrimack Valley - Northeastern MA
    I just ordered the 100 pack as it seemed to be the best value and more is always better as they say. I've been using these fire starters I got at BJ's Wholesale Club (they work pretty good to be honest) but have been thinking about using the Super Cedars so I decided to get the 100 pack based on the sage advice as read here on Hearth.com. I also enjoy giving my business to some enterprising individual who took the gamble to strike out on their own and make a go of it out there in the big bad world.
  13. dylskee

dylskee Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central MA
    Got my first box of SuperCedars delivered today! Projects are coming to an end so I'm looking forward to trying these out.
    Super Cedars.jpg
    raybonz and NWfuel like this.
  14. jjs777_fzr

jjs777_fzr Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    NorthShore, MA USA
    I just picked up the Rutlands for $12.98 for 144 squares...and got my fire going with one square.
    That puts it at $0.09 per start - making the super's look like less than a bargain even with the 10% discount.
  15. BrotherBart

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Plus tax and gas?
  16. HDRock

HDRock Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Grand Blanc, Mi
    I got my samples of the super cedars. The other day and they are great.
    I have used other types of starters, don't remember the name. Or the brand, and I had also picked up a box of the Rutland squares.
    Looking at the color of the flame coming from the , one quarter,super cedar, it appears to me that they burn much hotter than anything I've used.
    A one quarter,super cedar, is definitely superior to one, Rutland Square.
  17. jjs777_fzr

jjs777_fzr Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    NorthShore, MA USA
    If this is a serious question then I can say I leveraged my trip to HD by doing food shopping so gas would be a non-issue.
    I do live within one mile from two HD's and one Lowes. My car gets 19mpg city...at $3.56/gal gas that puts it at about .39 cents round trip.

As for tax...I'm fairly positive that if abiding by the tax code - I am to declare any purchases made online from an Interstate seller - to calculate the State Sales Tax.
    So my answer would be...yes...Plus tax and gas...since the price I listed for Rutlands didn't state the MA sales tax and nor does the supercedar web site state you will pay for your own sales tax at tax time.
    So you know where I'm coming from...it was probably last year I saw super's advertised and folks jumping in...but the cost just didn't make sense based on what I have available to me.
    I suppose if someone doesn't have a alternative...then its probably a great product.
    I know we're just talking pennys - but pennys add up.
    Super's are 60% more expensive than the Rutlands in my case.
    I guess I'll have to try some...but I'm skeptical there is a 60% performance increase on the supers over the Rutlands or other products locally available.
    I think this is important to state here...because many folks in this economic climate are burning wood to save money - and the 60% just stands out too far.
  18. fishinpa

fishinpa Member

Loc:
    SE PA
    I wanted to remind everyone that using "hearth" in the discount code at SuperCedars site still gives a 10% discount for being a member over here. I found an old thread when they initially offered this discount to us members and it still works!

Great products and super nice folks over there!
  19. BrotherBart

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Folks need to start fires any way they want to. SS, Rutland, kindling and paper. It is all good.
    FrankMA and jjs777_fzr like this.
  20. Treacherous

Treacherous Minister of Fire

Loc:
    WA state
    No worries. If that is what works for you go for it.

I think the Rutlands may not burn as hot but if you have dry wood it shouldn't matter.

I see Rutlands state a 8-10 minute burn time.

[​IMG]

SC's burn 20-30 minutes.

http://www.supercedar.com/how_to.php
  21. HDRock

HDRock Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Grand Blanc, Mi
    Well I started a fire yesterday with one Rutland square
    Where they on sale ? cuz they were $13 in Fenton
  22. NWfuel

NWfuel Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Mukilteo,Washington
    I would like to thank you for all your posts about my product. I should be paying you a commission. Looks like you have some extra time, I am wondering if you would post a video showing this product burning? In fact if you could show the lighting of it that would be great.

Thanks again
    Thomas
    Backwoods Savage and FrankMA like this.
  23. dylskee

dylskee Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central MA
    I only use 1/4 of a SC to light my fires and it works perfectly so I consider that money well spent! These things really work awesome, this is my new firestarter of choice from here on in......
  24. BrotherBart

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    I am curious if one of the Rutland squares can get the job done. If not then two of them costs more ($12.98 plus tax for 144 at my local HD) than a quarter of a Super Cedar and burns half as long. We need a fire starter "burn off" here. Inquiring minds want to know this stuff. ;lol
  25. NWfuel

NWfuel Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Mukilteo,Washington
    I would be happy to collect a asortment of firestarters and line them up. I will make them equal weights and touch them with a match. Anybody who would like to include their firestarters for this test are welcome to enter. I am sure a unbiased member would be best for this test. Do we have any takers?

Thomas
    pen likes this.