First time this ever happened!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I had that happen when trying to break up a 48" round of green doug fir. Used every wedge and they were getting lost in the wood. What to do? I went back and got another mega wedge. Got some help to flip the round and attacked it from the other side in the same location. It finally gave way. After that I let the rest of the rounds dry out more for a few months, then hired a couple eager HS football team jocks that were friends with my son. They wailed on those rounds like they were mortal enemies. Got the job done in a good day of splitting.

Reactions: heavy hammer
Done that a time or two myself. Like everyone said - pound away and eventually brute force and ibuprofen will win. I have given up splitting big rounds until it gets real cold here - like single digit cold. Others have said it is easy to split then and I am going to give it a try this winter. I have about 35 big rounds of fir and ponderosa pine waiting.

Done that a time or two myself. Like everyone said - pound away and eventually brute force and ibuprofen will win. I have given up splitting big rounds until it gets real cold here - like single digit cold. Others have said it is easy to split then and I am going to give it a try this winter. I have about 35 big rounds of fir and ponderosa pine waiting.
I have a cord of elm to split and I'm waiting for the real cold to split them.They do split easier when it's frigid.

I have a cord of elm to split and I'm waiting for the real cold to split them.They do split easier when it's frigid.

they also split easier with a 22 ton splitter

Reactions: 2fireplacesinSC
Sometimes I'll slice those into pancake rounds three or four inches thick . Leave on top of the stacks . Then split them into 4 in a year or whatever size will fit in the stove. I had to try to split a few to recognize when to cut pancakes at the tree. Splits are nice but pancakes burn too.
Not worth straining the hydraulics on either.

Since I do not have a splitter, I usually take a chainsaw to bad boys like those and cut them apart; i.e. "noodle" them.

Status
Not open for further replies.