First Tri-Axle

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mmopt

Oct 19, 2008
PA
My family has been burning for most of my life but only recently have my wife/kids and I moved back to the country (PA) from Chicago. Needless to say, I didn’t burn in the city.

After doing some research, and some great advice from a couple locals from the board, I’ve decided to get a Lopi Reserve for my upstairs (1500sq ft) and just had a tri-axle delivered (for 2009) to my parents house in the country. I would have had it delivered to my house, but access to my backyard is tough, mainly because the telephone cords are too low on the side where the truck would have to come in.

Early this morning my dad and I started on the task of cutting down the logs into manageable sections and towing them back to my house 5 miles away. I specifically asked for stuff under 20 inches and was very happy with the delivery, mostly sugar maple and a mix of other hardwoods. We completed 6 loads today, approximately 6 trips with the back of my truck 5.5x6 and the trailer 8x5x3 (half full, because the gate only went up that high). There is about 1/3 of the load left, and probably a solid 4 cords or so. This wood is pretty dry, seems like it was cut and stacked for a while, but I still am not using it until 09-10 after I split and stack it shortly. Paid $600 for the load which I thought was fair.

Will probably burn what I can find this year, but glad to have next year taken care of.

Pictures:
1) 4 loads, with 5th in the truck at my house
2) Side view of delivery, rain in the morning...
2) Side view 2

Attachments

• wood2.jpg
    wood2.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 779
  • wood1.jpg
    wood1.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 792
  • 4loads.jpg
    4loads.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 806
Lastly, my helper, by 3 he can carry wood to the house from the backyard (2 now)

Attachments

• e.jpg
    e.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 788
Nice load burner, welcome and props to you for planning ahead...keep your shotgun handy when your cutting there. Often times it's not uncommon for me to see deer when I'm out in the woods cutting. btw is there a reason you don't burn coal? We burn wood cause it's free and can get the house real warm but if I had to buy wood it would be coal for us...like way less work.

savageactor7 said:
Nice load burner, welcome and props to you for planning ahead...keep your shotgun handy when your cutting there. Often times it's not uncommon for me to see deer when I'm out in the woods cutting. btw is there a reason you don't burn coal? We burn wood cause it's free and can get the house real warm but if I had to buy wood it would be coal for us...like way less work.

Thanks on the planning.

Regarding coal I probably can get enough free wood for the next year (2011), but I wanted to get an "easy" load for next year. My dad had one coal stove of the 3 at our other house and he always leaned towards the wood burners. I never asked why, but I suppose since I'm still young, 28, I don't mind the work out since at my main job I sit at a desk all day. I may look into coal for my downstairs stove since it's a smaller space and I don't want to carry wood down there.

Ah, great assistant you've got there. :) You'll definitely get a good work out. I had a tri-axle dump-truck load of seasoned wood delivered by a nearby mill this year. It was mainly 3-5 ft pieces. Cut split and stacked, I had 565 cf. (I'm lucky the mill's prices are very low--$175.) I've been burning 24/7 for most of the month of October and have gone through enough wood that I decided I needed to go to the mill and fill the 8ft bed of my truck--did that yesterday. I probably got another 1/2-3/4 cord; it's gone into my overflow wood shed where I can process at a slower speed. The mill's got mountains of wood at varying states of aging--some of it's been sitting long enough it's silver and cracked throughout. I may get one more load just to feel safe. (This is my first year with an EPA stove so I'm not quit sure how much less wood it will use.)

I was surprised how much time it took to process a tri-axle load. My wife was complaining about not doing anything fun in the summer.

Bigg_Redd said:
West coast translation - triaxle means log truck load.

Northern Maine translation---triaxle means 3 axles under load plus steering axle. Usually about 45,000lbs(aprox 8 plus cord) of a payload to stay legal on pavement.

Good luck with the wood BurnerMM. Looks like your parents live in a nice area. Hope the family adapts well to the country. Waiting for my wood boiler, got 6 1/2 cord all split and stacked and ready to go. It's only snowed once so far.

flyingcow said:
Bigg_Redd said:

Northern Maine translation---triaxle means 3 axles under load plus steering axle. Usually about 45,000lbs(aprox 8 plus cord) of a payload to stay legal on pavement.

Good luck with the wood BurnerMM. Looks like your parents live in a nice area. Hope the family adapts well to the country. Waiting for my wood boiler, got 6 1/2 cord all split and stacked and ready to go. It's only snowed once so far.

I'm glad to be back, we're only 5 miles from my parents house and it's a nice area in both locations. Mine is slightly more suburban, but I still have an acre of relatively flat lawn. Our son is only 2, but likes having the large parks and running around, and our next one will arrive in March, so not much of an adjustment for them. The wife is from the state line in North Illinois, so she's accustom to rural areas and likes having 2x the house at 1/2 the price and 1/2 taxes. As much as we like Chicago or NYC, it's too tough to have kids in the city in our opinion.

Good luck with the new boiler install also.

flyingcow said:
Bigg_Redd said:

To add a tri axle is a straight truck without a pup. Not a tractor trailer load. I'd go with the 8 cord guess.

Yeah Bgg Redd, a triaxle isn't a log truck like we have out here. It's a goofy east coast thing more like a big dumptruck that doesn't dump.

i was assuming they were talking about 3 axle straight trucks. Which has actually 4 axles if you include the steering axle. Doesn't make sense, but I usually don't. But we do run 3 axle trailers also, those are usually 48ft. We're allowed to gross 100,000lbs with this trailer(on state roads). Figure 66,000+lbs of payload. I've seen offroad trucks grossing 200,000+lbs, sometimes more when using 2 trailers.

Highbeam said:
Yeah Bgg Redd, a triaxle isn't a log truck like we have out here. It's a goofy east coast thing more like a big dumptruck that doesn't dump.

A dump truck that doesn't dump. . . seems handy.

Good deal. Here we more often call it a "grapple load" or something, and they're just plain not available. It would be a great way to get ahead.

LOL- I carried chunks of a white oak base that probably weigh 3x what your helper does right now. Cute kid! Good on ya for going back to the land- too many people have the fond memories of the country as they deal with city life.

We started with wood burning when I was maybe 10, and honestly out cutting/moving wood are some of the best memories that I have as a kid spending time with my dad.

Be safe

Adios Pantalones said:
Good deal. Here we more often call it a "grapple load" or something, and they're just plain not available. It would be a great way to get ahead.

LOL- I carried chunks of a white oak base that probably weigh 3x what your helper does right now. Cute kid! Good on ya for going back to the land- too many people have the fond memories of the country as they deal with city life.

We started with wood burning when I was maybe 10, and honestly out cutting/moving wood are some of the best memories that I have as a kid spending time with my dad.

Be safe

Yep, we started burning before I was born and there's movies without sound of my siblings and I carrying wood into the hosue at 2,3, and 5. Pretty funny. Thanks regarding my son, he's usually pretty good. I'm very fortunate to be able to do my job from anywhere with a computer and phone line, we considered IL, but my mother also owns 2 daycares, between that and taxes being half as much, it was an easy decision where we decided to buy.

My triax looked very similiar to my load in the picture above.

Status
Not open for further replies.