First Windhager in Tennessee

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Five days into XL operations using pellets vs wood and I'm already big time spoiled. Spent last Saturday sorting out gremlins mainly related to the A419 not coming configured per the instructions. The default jumper setting is supposed to be HEAT not air conditioning. So the controller was waiting to hit the high set point to drive down temp vs activating boiler on low temp. Discovered jumper error and immediately the XL went from standby to ignition phase. Burner pot and boiler was probably at ~40F. I stood there staring at the message "ignition phase" for ~15 minutes and finally called Heaterman and interrupted him making cookies or pancakes for grandkids. He told me this is normal and sure enough, the electrical element eventually caused ignition and soon moved to modulation control.

We're using mid storage tank temp for the set points of 130 to 150F and 178F water supplied by the XL. We're using a surface mount thermocouple for control mounted on the manifold so I'd guess a 5-10F low error of the real mid tank water temp. I'm actually seeing the mid tank temp increasing after boiler shutdown during periods of low demand from the house. Apparently if the demand pump stays off for extended periods of time the hotter upper tank water conducts to the lower tank water, of course cooling the very top, but warming the middle extending the XL's standby time. With this unusual weather the XL has been on standby for almost 24 hrs. So having storage with a pellet boiler will dramatically reduce ignition events. Burns are much longer charging storage but much less frequent which I think will be ideal since we have forced air instead of radiant.

All good so far. Merry Christmas to all.

Apparently if the demand pump stays off for extended periods of time the hotter upper tank water conducts to the lower tank water, of course cooling the very top, but warming the middle extending the XL's standby time.
You would think it would stratify with the little disturbance of the water. Do you actually have a sensor at tank top, or are you assuming?

Does your XL run the boiler feed pump for some time (like 10 minutes) after shutdown? That's good for getting a few more btus into the tank, and removing residual heat as the pellet fire goes out.

Your large tanks look awesomely insulated.

Velvet, I have an AZ sensor on the top and bottom manifolds. But I have seem these lose calibration and give goofy temps. It's a little early for me claim absolutes, but it appears that several hours after the XL shuts off and no pump activity, the 180F water at the very top conducts warming the mid tank. Stratification still occurs. I know this happens because my A419 controller with the TC mid tank is presently set to shut off at 150F (130F low set point + 20F differential). Later after an XL burn I saw 158F measured by the A419 mid tank. It was one of those.... Huh??... Moments.

I'll check what it does when the fire goes out. I'd bet it's programmed to run the loading unit for a while after fire out.

Yeah... There's at least 3.5" on them and many places probably 4".

Seeing interesting things happen when the weather is so mild that the demand pumps aren't coming on for very long periods. Tornados here yesterday!! On Christmas!!?! Merry Christmas to all.

I have a Johnson controls A419 aquastat as well. It too came with the jumper on cooling mode. I have noticed that mine doesn't turn the fan on until it's actually 1 degree less then differential setting, and it shuts down at the high point but the boiler runs up another 3-4 degree right after a solid burn. Maybe you came across it right after a call for heat.

Hooked up our swappable pellet hopper. I purchased empty fertilizer hoppers for $25 each. Cut the top and added hinges to make a top cover. A Windhager pellet pick up is in the bottom. We will pre fill the hoppers and swap when one is empty. Looks like each container will hold about 1600-1700 lbs of pellets. Loving the Windhager, loving running from lots of storage.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Reactions: velvetfoot
Status
Not open for further replies.