1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

First winter with my stove, do I need to stock up on pellets?

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by StormPanic, Dec 10, 2012.

1. StormPanic

StormPanic Member

Loc:
    Merrimack Valley, MA
    I have been buying my pellets 10 bags at a time but have been reading stories about stores running out of them mid winter. I have been liking the Fireside Ultras at HD ($209 / ton). Should I be worried about stores running out? I guess the safe bet is to just buy a ton I guess.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. subsailor

subsailor Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Winthrop, Maine
    Pellets will disappear from the box stores probably before you stop burning. They will start gearing up for spring pretty soon.
    SmokeyTheBear likes this.
  3. whlago

whlago Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    NW Connecticut
    Oh boy...on this forum that's like asking " Do I need to plug my stove into a surge protector?"
    Eatonpcat and SmokeyTheBear like this.
  4. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Standish, ME
    What do you mean by that?

There are no pellet pigs on here, we all buy our pellets weekly when we go grocery shopping.

:p
    heat seeker and whlago like this.
  5. gymrat0663

gymrat0663 Member

Loc:
    South Central Pennsylvania
    I have the Papa John's delivery guy drop off seven bags every Friday night when he delivers dinner! :)

To the OP -- stock up!
  6. glenc0322

glenc0322 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    long Island NY
    I buy mine daily no need to stock up. If you run out you freeze and have to turn the oil burner on
    jjs777_fzr, ltlhawk and SmokeyTheBear like this.
  7. Bank

Bank Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    S. Maine
    I always have a year's supply (+/- 3 tons) on hand at all times. I generally buy my pellets in the spring and load up with so I have 6+ tons going into each winter. This way I am covered should supply drop or prices go through the roof.
  8. tsmith

tsmith Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Kutztown, PA
    I always buy 4 tons in April so my stash is ready for the next year. You also get the best pricing at this time.
  9. St_Earl

St_Earl Minister of Fire

Loc:
    millinocket, north central maine
    ^ yep. as soon as the snow is gone enough for the delivery to get up the drive in spring, i buy my tons.
  10. iron stove

iron stove Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central CT
    Why do I need that ? I dont see any surges of pellets in my stove ::-)
  11. SXIPro

SXIPro Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern MA
    I buy one ton at a time, as I have limited basement space and I will not store them outside. There was only one year in the last 13 that I've been burning where things got a little sketchy for me and I had to scramble to get hold of pellets. Never ran out though, and never turned on the furnace either.
    The Ds and John C. like this.
  12. joescho

joescho Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northeastern PA
    or does a bear **** in the woods????

(I apologize Smoky, it was out there and I just could not resist....);lol
  13. ltlhawk

ltlhawk Member

Loc:
    Pelham, NH
    I bought 3 tons (stacked them twice.. another story) and I am already looking for more.. I think it is a sickness.
    briansol, jtakeman and CT Pellet like this.
  14. CT Pellet

CT Pellet Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Torrington, CT
    If you don't have 2014's pellets yet, you're behind many die-hards here!!!
    slvrblkk, SmokeyTheBear and DexterDay like this.
  15. jtakeman

jtakeman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    I'm stricken with the sickness and as I get room I stuff it full again. I'd say if you got room and there's a deal, Who's to say you'll see it again. So keep on stuffin till ya can't stuffs no more! ==c
    Eatonpcat and SmokeyTheBear like this.
  16. SXIPro

SXIPro Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern MA
    Fixed it for ya.
  17. heat seeker

heat seeker Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern CT
    I know people who do just that!

Don't pellets improve with age, like fine wine? All the more reason to stockpile.
  18. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

Buy..... Buy....... Buy........ ;)
    Eatonpcat, jtakeman and SmokeyTheBear like this.
  19. imacman

imacman Guest

For the most part, if you plan on trying to supplement your existing heating system with pellets, most people will burn between 3-4 tons on an average winter. Last year it was less (warm than normal winter), and the year before that more (colder than normal).

Better to have too many than not enough, IF you have the storage space to keep them dry.

BTW, if you have a Lowes nearby, check to see if they have Greene Teams or Somersets......the GT are better than the FU, and the Somersets are WAY better, and you should be able to price match them from the HD price.
  20. DBCOOPER

DBCOOPER Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Stowe, Pa
    I did that last year. Have both a Home Depot and Lowes near by. Around the end of January the prices at both stores went up $1.00 more a bag and by the end of February they didn't have them any more. This year I bought in advance.
  21. Shaw520

Shaw520 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Modena
    My problem is,..(as if I only have one), Somersets around the corner from me for 209,...>twitch, twitch<,.....>right leg starting to shake<... and Im afraid that,... >standing up<.....we may never see them,.... >sitting down<... ..at that price again,.....>drool/cough<.... so I think I need to stock - ......, hold on, I'll be right back.... > > > > > > > >
    jtakeman and SmokeyTheBear like this.
  22. Mike D

Mike D Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    North Haven, CT
    Not sure how far away the HD is from you, but between the gas you spend picking them up each week and the time you are spending - you will more than recoup the $65 flat delivery fee HD will charge. You might want to get more than 1 ton if you can store them. This is of course assuming you don't have a truck to pick up your own ton. Also, if you are married - don't you want to make the best impression with your better half? The last thing you want to do is run out of pellets and have her giving you the "look" because you spent the money on the stove and installation and are still paying the oil or gas company. As someone else pointed out, you may want to find and try a couple of other brands too to make sure you buy the better one for your stove.
  23. SmokeyTheBear

Loc:
    Standish, ME
    That is what you'll see if you don't use one and get zinged good by your utility or mother nature and your blood pressure will surge as well ;).
  24. SmokeyTheBear

Loc:
    Standish, ME
    Some of them city folk have been known to do their grocery shopping every day. I can assure everyone that doing it that way at my place would never work. It wastes too much gas, takes too much time, and at times isn't worth the risk of getting out of the yard.
  25. khenault

khenault Member

Loc:
    Southern, NH
    I need a whole lot mare than two thousand fourteen pellets. ( How many do you reckon are in a bag?)