First Wood Delivery Today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gangsplatt

Mar 26, 2008
Plattsburgh, NY
So I am getting 2 full cords of what the wood guy says is seasoned wood (cut & split) today. I'm new to this whole wood burning process, anyway, my question is:

It is raining here today and its supposed to rain again tomorrow and I'm off to work again on Monday so the wood will just be sitting in a pile on the ground for a while getting rained on, etc. Should I cover the "seasoned" wood pile with a tarp until I get to stack it or will it be okay to leave until I can start stacking?

Naw...the outdoor weathering process will further season the wood as long as its not touching the ground and continually wicking moisture. Stack it when time permits but don't cover it till Nov.

I wouldn't worry about the pile just sitting there unless I was still looking at it like that in October.

The worms will be lifting thier legs on the splits on the bottom, though.
You might want to wear gloves if it sits too long.
:)

try and get a price for green wood if you can get lots of sun and got a place to put it where it gets a breeze get 1 seasoned 2 green or 3 green you can dry most wood well enough to burn by nov... but if you get 1 seasoned 2 green they will be ready by jan just burn the ones with the biggest cracks in the end of the wood

If it's seasoned wood, and it sits in a pile and gets rained on some, it's nothing to worry about, it'll dry right back off. Get it stacked when you can, cover the top of the stack before the real winter weather arrives, let it "breathe", it should be just fine. I've got about nine cords in a heap out in the weather right now, in various states of splitness, and it's getting rained on a bit...don't even own enough tarps to cover it all, and I'm not worried about it. By next burning season, it'll be fine. Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.