First Wood Harvest

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

teekal

Nov 28, 2014
Manitoba, Canada
Hey guys. A month or so ago I posted a thread about fallen trees in my brother-in-law's farmland, over the Christmas Break (I'm a teacher) I went out with my Dad to check it out and harvest some wood.

It's a nice piece of land right along the river, with easy access from the road (and a short drive across the field). I was pleasantly surprised to see just how much land there is - probably enough free wood for my entire lifetime...

20141227_140935.jpg

20141227_141138.jpg

On the first day we just loaded up the following onto my Dad's short-box pickup:

20141227_140646.jpg

I set up a nice station to split the wood in my back yard... pushing the boundaries of the -20 degree limit for using the splitter, but it seemed to do fine and I wasn't out for too long.

20141228_143306.jpg

It definitely seemed like a lot more wood than this, but I guess that's the way she goes...

20141228_144552.jpg

on New Year's Day, I took my 4-year old son and my Dad back out, along with a second truck, and we spent 2-3 hours collecting wood. This was a great day.

20150101_151236.jpg

20150101_151245.jpg

As it was colder the next day, and I had a lot more wood to split this time around, I set up a workstation in my garage and then hauled the split wood to the back afterwards.

20150102_135850.jpg

This is more like it...

20150102_161106.jpg

Unfortunately I ran out of daylight, and we had a big storm coming the next day, so I did not have time to split all of it. The load from the short-box I just had to stack and will have to split it later on.

20150102_161110.jpg

A few questions for you guys:

- Does anyone know what type of wood this is? I'm still a rookie at this sort of thing

- Any tips/hints/suggestions? We just purchased this property in September, so I plan on building a proper wood storage unit in the Spring.

Looks great! Sounds like a real good harvest site! No idea on wood species but its amazing how much more wood you can fit in a truck if its stacked. If not a concern then thats ok just thought Id mention it. Nice to have a splitter eh? I see some pallets but theres lots of snow so not sure if some of the splits are resting on the ground.

It's all on pallets, just tough to see because of the snow I had to shovel off beforehand.

Ya, we were pretty careless with saving space on the back of the trucks... it was more than enough work with two truck boxes and only two of us working, so not really looking to get too much more on there!

And yes, the splitter is amazing. I'm new to this, and can't imagine splitting it all by hand. That being said, I will most definitely be picking up a nice ax to change things up for splitting every now and then.

Thanks for the input, Seanm.

the splitter is amazing.
I enjoy mine! If all I had to split was a cord a year or was 10 years younger I might just split by hand but actually enjoy running the splitter. Even my 9 year old son can run it. Yeah two truck loads like that would be a work out for sure. Welcome to the forums!

Status
Not open for further replies.