First Wood Stove in Years

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

SwedeFP

Jan 4, 2024
Tennessee
I have been using this very helpful site to learn newer information about wood stoves. I last used two Riteways to heat our farm house in the 1980s. At some point this year our family will have a new barn with a work shop on one side. I intend to once again have a wood stove to use. This will be used for enjoyment and for when working on projects, so intermittently. The hunt began on FBM and Craigslist, but I found a hearth business fairly close. On a hunch to find out about Jotul stoves, I called them and learned about Hwam stoves from Dennark. Apparently, this company is pulling out of the USA rather than go through testing for the most recent EPA standards, so they are selling off inventory at what I thought were great prices. I bought this new Hwam Monet for $300. Here's a picture. I took the door off until I get it installed. I'm really liking the air control function, as this will allow someone less familiar with stoves (family) to operate it. 20240103_150550.jpg

Nice find! That's surprising and too bad. Hwam has come up with some very efficient stoves. Is that a 3660?
One caveat, treat the curved glass with great respect. Replacing it would be hard and very expensive.

Last edited:
Reactions: SwedeFP
Nice find! That's surprising and too bad. Hwam has come up with some very efficient stoves. Is that a 3660?
One caveat, treat the curved glass with great respect. Replacing it would be hard and very expensive.
Thanks, it just has Monet on the back plate. I also now see that the tag says it was produced in 01 of 2010. Talk about new old stock. I see what you mean about the door-priced at $400, if I could even get it. I have it nestled in a wool blanket in a closet for now, and will be very careful with it. There may be some more stoves there, like a 3055 zero clearance and a Monet with the top cooking compartment. I liked this one best it being the simplest one. It is pretty heavily made with fairly thick steel plate.

It's a high-end stove and well made. As is typical for this style, it's small firebox is designed for area or room heating. It's now an overnight burner. For now, Woodmans has parts for the Monet and a more reasonable price for the glass. Where did you find one, eBay or local shop?

It's a high-end stove and well made. As is typical for this style, it's small firebox is designed for area or room heating. It's now an overnight burner. For now, Woodmans has parts for the Monet and a more reasonable price for the glass. Where did you find one, eBay or local shop?
That's good to know and confirms my decision to buy it, although cost was a big factor. It was found at more of a local shop . It's not at all what I intended, as I like the more rustic look of Jotul and some vintage stoves. The specs I found show heating capacity 1600 sq ft and efficiency 81%. I think it has a 4 hour burn time. This is quite a bit more than the area I want to heat, so it will be used at lower settings. It seems to combine the best of some features. Ever since moving off our farm, I've wanted to use a wood stove for heat and just a place to sit around and watch a fire. I have a good bit of seasoned oak, hickory, maple and now sassafras (due to laurel wilt fungus), as we have some acreage, and I don't like to let fallen trees go to waste. Thanks for the parts source. I've already been planning on how to extend the life of this stove, so that will come in handy.

Last edited:
1600 sq ft is the maximum it can heat. That can be less depending on outside temps and the house insulation. The Monet only takes small loads of about 5# at a time. The manual says 1 hr average between reloads. It can go longer on the lowest setting as long as the draft is strong enough to not smolder the fire and smoke up the glass.

1600 sq ft is the maximum it can heat. That can be less depending on outside temps and the house insulation. The Monet only takes small loads of about 5# at a time. The manual says 1 hr average between reloads. It can go longer on the lowest setting as long as the draft is strong enough to not smolder the fire and smoke up the glass.
Thanks for the extra information. That will actually be about perfect for our use, as on leaving, it would be good to have only coals and ashes. I eventually intend to insulate an area and maybe add a loft. If the area became tighter on airflow, a small closable vent going outside can be added. I'm anxious to get this in and start learning to maximize its use.

The European reviews I read last night were all quite positive. I think you are going to enjoy the stove a lot. The great price makes it a special find. Interesting to note that the US manual is a little less informative on the operation and more encouraging in the load size.

Please get back to us on how it heats and how you like the Hwam automatic air control. It's a cool feature unique to this brand.

Please get back to us on how it heats and how you like the Hwam automatic air control. It's a cool feature unique to this brand.
I might have read some of those same reviews. Having an international perspective on the stove and wood burning makes it interesting. I'll experiment with load size without trying to push it too much. I hope the other stoves also find somewhere to be of good use. I will get back on the stove's operation. The automatic air control should be a feature that will allow me to teach and encourage a family member on how to use the stove and enjoy wood heat. I'm also glad it requires no electricity. I intend to keep this in the family awhile.

How do you like this stove so far?