First wood stove.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

payton

Sep 9, 2007
i would like to buy a wood stove for this winter(or next). we have a dog so i don't think that putting it on the main level is going to work. i have been lurking for a wile and see that the tram boilers get good reviews, so i was wondering if there is anything like this that can be put in a basement and then hooked into an existing furnace that still has a high(75+) efficiency. my understanding is that everything like this is epa exempt so is there a way to tell how much smoke these will make?. we have a brick chimney in our house that is over 90 years old. i don't know what it is like on the inside but our hot water and furnace use it. the chimney does go threw out family room/ kitchen so if there is a way that would work with a dog i think that is perfered.

Payton

nshif said:
BTW dogs really arnt that stupid and know when its hot. I have 2 and they get close but have never gotten too close.
This is true...
Every one of my pups knows not to chase the tennis ball near the stove in the winter....
They know where the heat comes from...

You just have the one flue? You cannot use it for both the water heater / furance and wood stove unless it has multiple chambers built into it. You might have to run a new class A chimney to add a wood stove to the home.

Your dog will probably fall in love with the stove like mine did. The hard part is getting them out of the way to load up or poke logs

Attachments

• move001.jpg
    move001.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 494
ok so i guess that the dog thing will not be a problem. i think that the chimney is just the brick and nothing els. so i guess that we would have to run a classA chimney inside of it. but then is it ok to have the hot water just going around the outside of the new class A chimney that would be put in?

payton said:
ok so i guess that the dog thing will not be a problem. i think that the chimney is just the brick and nothing els. so i guess that we would have to run a classA chimney inside of it. but then is it ok to have the hot water just going around the outside of the new class A chimney that would be put in?
nope....
appliances cannot share the same flue

GVA said:
payton said:
nope....
appliances cannot share the same flue

I think if they all had their own separate tested/listed metal prefab flue it would be OK. I have seen a lot of pics in catalogs of water heaters and furnaces sharing the same B-Vent style flue (I'm sure there are special circumstances that make it OK), but definitely cannot share with wood. What would not be OK is for the water heater or furnace to have a liner running up along side of the class A.

I could be wrong though... someone will butt in if I am.

There are exceptions where a gas hot water heater can share the flue with a gas furnace The first part of the equation is the flue areas

A standard 8/8 clay flue has a cross-sectional area of app. 46" 6'round is 26" and 4 " rround flue is about 13 " their total area is 39" less that the 46"
So the original Clay flue has the capacity. The Smaler 4" hot water heater flue does not have the heating capacity to heat the cross sectional area.
Used in conjunction with the furnace which heats it will work The smaller flue must enter above the larger flue and both appliances must burn the same fuel

Now if one purchased an add on wood boiler tested and certified to be connected to the original flue it would be ok to do so. One could not connect it to a chimney that was not in NFPA
211 condition. One can not add it to an un lined chimney. One can not line the chimney and use the area around the liner to meet requirements of another appliance.

Barmetric dampened chimneys can not have other appliances attached unless used in the above connection,
where the gas hot water heater is connected in a y pipe connection
of the burner connector pipe

I can not advise if there is enough room for 2 separate liners to occupy the chase area This is a bit of a Grey area of code interpretation Code intent is one flue in one chase separated by a 4" solid masonry partition.

Don't know about dogs but my wife's brain-dead cat comes and complains when it is cold and the stove isn't lit. He goes right up in front of it and starts yowling at me the same as he does by his bowl when he is hungry.

In winter months when the stove is running he lives under the coffee table in front of the stove. No amount of coaxing will get him to jump into the stove. I know. I have tried.

I have a hard time imagining a wood stove being a threat to a dog. That is unless you say "here boy, stick, fetch!" as you toss a log on the fire. Even then it would have to be a brain dead retriever that would go for it.

i am slightly confused about all the different words for about the same thing. i understand that stovepipe goes from the stove pipe to the wall or ceiling where it is hooked to class A chimney. but if i use the chimney we have now what can be inside of the bricks? is it not ok to have the class A chimney inside the bricks and have the hot water heater run up a 4" pipe? also what is a flue pipe? is this the same as the class A chimney.

sorry about the stupid ?'s.

You need to have a pro come look at it, basically. Since we don't know exactly what you have. From what I can gather it does not sound like you have a chimney that can be dedicated for a wood stove, in which case you need to run a new chimney system someplace.

Status
Not open for further replies.