First year collecting wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scooter422

Burning Hunk
Aug 24, 2014
Indiana
Here's my stacks for the year. Worked about six months scrounging this. All split by hand. Hickory,White Oak,Hedge,White Ash,Black Walnut,Elm,and some Silver Maple. This site has helped me tremendously! Thank you!

Attachments

• tmp_6706-photo2066520482.JPG
    tmp_6706-photo2066520482.JPG
    175.8 KB · Views: 368
  • tmp_6706-photo1894927184.JPG
    tmp_6706-photo1894927184.JPG
    156.7 KB · Views: 346
  • tmp_6706-photo2016712461.JPG
    tmp_6706-photo2016712461.JPG
    102.1 KB · Views: 329
  • tmp_6706-photo_1185187177.jpg
    tmp_6706-photo_1185187177.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 304
  • tmp_6706-photo64992675.JPG
    tmp_6706-photo64992675.JPG
    159.2 KB · Views: 328
Good job! I'm planning on starting to scrounge for wood once I fix up my trailer and get a hitch on the new car. How many cords total?

Have about 70' total. All 6'Hx4'W. Not sure exactly. I'm trying to supplement my heat this year. Last year's heating bills were more than I'm willing to pay so I started my firewood adventure.

Looking Great! I found myself in the same spot this spring. Busted hump and got roughly 4 cords of full dead standing elm and some oak tops css (not by hand though) by early May. All ready to burn this year per moisture meter. Also have a half cord of cottonwood and boxelder for shoulder wood. They were green blow downs, moisture metered them last week and they dried out to 18-21% top covered and in sun all day! I have a great jump on next year as well with the oak main trunks some more cottonwood and some scrounged popple from a lot clearing job I drove by. I'm starting to go after a dozen or so oaks this weekend for 16-17 season. Its been a lot of work but it feels good to accomplish that much in a year. I would have more, but cut on shares on 2 properties so I ended up leaving a 1/3 of what I cut at each place. Not excited about that but it was better than paying for it. Keep up the good work and it will keep you from having to work hard again the following year. Once the temps drop I will be ready to just kick back and watch my efforts dance with flames!

Reactions: paul bunion
Have about 70' total. All 6'Hx4'W. Not sure exactly. I'm trying to supplement my heat this year. Last year's heating bills were more than I'm willing to pay so I started my firewood adventure.
That's about 13 cords going by those measurements.

Thats a good amount of wood. I have no idea what I'm at yet. This weekend I'll finish moving it into the wood shed. I paid for a "truck load" He said it varies between 6-8 cords but depends how well and tight it was stacked. He thought it was on the lower side closer to 6 so gave me a better deal. I estimate it's pretty close to 6. I also have another 2-3 that's staying outside covered for next winter. So I'm hoping I'll be at around 8-9 total but only 6 is dry enough for this winter. If Rebelduckman is right then 13 cords is very good going.

I started getting wood in March. Started with the maple cause I knew it would be ready to burn this winter. Just got my insert installed a few weeks ago. The wood comes first so I started when it finally warmed up. I had a lot of luck this year. Have a guy that lets me clean his woods up and I'm the only one cutting there so it's mainly oak and hickory. I really had nothing to compare to so wasn't sure what I needed or how much. Just kept looking around and trying to beat everyone to the punch. Learning as I go. That's why I'm on these forums.

Thats a good amount of wood. I have no idea what I'm at yet. This weekend I'll finish moving it into the wood shed. I paid for a "truck load" He said it varies between 6-8 cords but depends how well and tight it was stacked. He thought it was on the lower side closer to 6 so gave me a better deal. I estimate it's pretty close to 6. I also have another 2-3 that's staying outside covered for next winter. So I'm hoping I'll be at around 8-9 total but only 6 is dry enough for this winter. If Rebelduckman is right then 13 cords is very good going.

I just plugged the numbers into the cord calculators they have pinned up top. There's several different ones to choose from.

I've never split hedge by hand. But I bet that sugar maple was a real joy to bust up.

Thanks. Hedge wasn't too bad. The elm and maple were the worst.

You are obviously a newbie. You should start out stacking really poorly, let a few stacks fall down, etc. It is a nice touch if you cut a lot of your firewood about 2 inches too long for your stove. Also, it is good form to burn freshly cut, damp wood your first year, and perhaps have a chimney fire or two. You have to leave room to improve.

Ha! Did have a few people asking me why I am not gonna burn the oak this year. They never heard of seasoning. Did have a friend helping me but he was bucking rounds to 20"+. So I made him load while I cut. Was quite an experience the past few months.

Didn't split a lot of elm but what I did was a pain. It was dead so not sure how fresh elm is to split.

Didn't split a lot of elm but what I did was a pain. It was dead so not sure how fresh elm is to split.

Answer: Not much fun . . . even with a hydraulic splitter fresh cut elm will be wicked stringy. Standing dead elm with the bark falling off can be much, much easier . . . especially with a hydraulic splitter. ;)

Reactions: BillLion
Red Elm is by far the worst I've ever split.
Red elm always splits good for me. American elm is the worst stringy ever. It is a lot better if cut dead and bark falling off.

I've heard a lot about how bad Elm is to split. I just cut down a standing dead Elm. About 18 inch diameter at the base. The bark was falling off. As firefighterjake said it was pretty easy. I split it all by hand and didn't have any problems. My neighbour has a 50-60 footer that's a good 26 inches at the base maybe more. It's standing dead and surrounded by power lines, their pool and their horse barn. She has to get some people out to take it down in the next year or two. I told her I'd take the wood. Maybe that was a mistake! though as it's been standing dead for a few years maybe it wont be too bad.

Stuff I got was 16% moisture after split. Dry as a bone.

Status
Not open for further replies.