First year with soapstone.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like the number of Keystone fella's are catching up to the Fireview fellas'.

swestall said:
After burning WOOD for a life time, I can honestly say that it is cooler in the house when you wake up. It was that way in the old days with that Cast Iron kitchen stove on the farm and it is that way now with this Modern EPA compliant unit. I think coming down in the morning to a bit of a cool home, stoking the fire up and enjoying the warmth as it comes up is part of this experience. Or, you could just get up at 3:30 and stoke it again; some do.

I too remember the old kitchen stove. Our family was not too well off and I remember when we didn't even have running water in the house. Those trips to the pump house are in my memory as well as trips to a different type of house.... We had a big heater in the living room and the kitchen stove, naturally in the kitchen. It had a large water reservoir where we heated all of our water.

Our parents slept downstairs but us 4 kids slept upstairs. We did have a register in the one bedroom but was not allowed to open it completely and it had to be closed during the daytime. I also remember scraping snow off one of the window sills and floor, so you know it got cold. But we had plenty of blankets for sleeping and then we fought over the register in the morning; that is, everyone got dressed right on the register so you could feel some heat. Then it was downstairs to the cookstove and man, did that ever feel great!

Being the youngest in the family, for some reason or other the job of bringing in wood and taking out ashes always fell on my shoulders. I also had the job of keeping wood in the stoves during the daytime when I was home. Yet, I never remember that it was an unwelcome chore as I always enjoyed it. I also enjoyed stacking the wood so when the men cut wood they just left it all on the wagon and I unloaded and stacked it all.

I am happy to say that I still enjoy working with firewood, but I do not miss those cold nights and mornings. So if need be, I do get up in the night to stoke up the stove. I also keep the house very warm during the daytime as I can see no sense in keeping the house cool and having to wear extra clothing. I want to be comfortable in my home! Let the other people wear their blankets to keep warm while watching tv if they want. Let others wear heavy sweaters and such. I am comfortable walking around in my house with a t-shirt on top and that is the way we will keep it. Also, after working outdoors in the cold I appreciate a warm house.

I had an old woodstove in a cabin in CT and used it for everything, baking, cooking and heating. It took frequent feeding but it sure was nice to work in the kitchen around it.

Somewhat off-topic, but check your mail for the woodstock brochure on the owners' specials. $600 discounts that you can offer friends/family.

See if you recognize an avatar image :)

-Colin

Colin - Congrats! I'll look for it!

Sandor - After doing my research, I found that the main difference between the Fireview and the Keystone is a larger firebox on the Fireview (ash pan on the Keystone), and more glass on the Keystone. Personally, I prefer the larger glass and ash pan, but the larger firebox means a lot more to some people... especially those that are away from home for 12+ hrs at a time. I'll tell you what, though... with Woodstock, there are no bad stoves... just stoves for different situations. I'm actually looking at one of their Franklin gas stoves for our master bedroom, once it's completed. I couldn't be more happy!

PH,

The larger glass viewing area was good, but the ash pan clinched the deal!

... and I did not need the Fireview's capacity.

Hi Photohound,

You stated: "I’m actually looking at one of their Franklin gas stoves for our master bedroom, once it’s completed. I couldn’t be more happy! "

I had that idea too because of my wife complaining about a cold bedroom, but I believe ELK said that you cannot have a stove in a bedroom at all, according to NFPA 211.

Please check before you buy a stove that you are not allowed to install.

Carpniels

Colin - I got the mailer yesterday. My wife and I both LOVE your hearth and surround. Nice job! Are those soapstone tiles, or slate?

Carp - I'm pretty sure that Elk meant solid fuel (i.e. wood) and not gas. I'm pretty sure direct vent gas is OK (but not completely sure). I certainly appreciate the heads up. We will surely check on this ahead of time.

Nothing in the mail here yet. Maybe I put them through to much when I bought?!

I think Elk is right on the no stove in the bedrooms, but not certain. This might be a local thing but I highly doubt it. I think the only thing allowed is if the home has electric heat.

Well, we had light snow this morning but at least the wind isn't howling for a change. Haven't seen 40 degrees for a couple days. Maybe this afternoon though it will get there. Man that heat from the stove feels great.

ThePhotoHound said:
Colin - I got the mailer yesterday. My wife and I both LOVE your hearth and surround. Nice job! Are those soapstone tiles, or slate?

Carp - I'm pretty sure that Elk meant solid fuel (i.e. wood) and not gas. I'm pretty sure direct vent gas is OK (but not completely sure). I certainly appreciate the heads up. We will surely check on this ahead of time.

Thanks - they are 1/2" slate tiles. To save money, we ordered 12x12s, my wife laid out the interlocking pattern on powerpoint, and I then burned through two $60 bargain-grade tile wetsaws from Lowe's to make the pieces needed for the pattern - but I'd still do it again that way. Much less expensive. It was a big job putting it in, but looking back, it was more worth the effort than other projects I've done. Originally this was a kitchen desk area that I relocated elsewhere to make room for this right in the middle of the house.

I think a lot of areas you are fine w/DV gas - probably varies by town. I was once told there is a BTU limit that applies. (10,000?)

-Colin

Status
Not open for further replies.