First year wood burners

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mountainview

Nov 29, 2014
Fort Garland, Colorado
Have a Morso 7110 and my question is can I empty the ash pan during a burn? Burning 24/7. Pan fills daily. Burning spruce and pine. Is there a safe way to do this while burning.

Thanks for your help

While a fire is still going? I don't see how that could be done safely. I get the ash out before I start my fire in the morning. With my shovel I push the coals and ash in the back, then rake the coals forward towards the door, then scoop out the excess ash in the back. Some ash stays there and gets spread over the bottom of the firebox as insulating layer. That way I preserve the coals for further heating but still make enough room for the fresh wood. I don't have an ash pan and probably would not use it even if I would have it.

Do you really get that much ash with every burn or are there a lot of coals?

Don't have a Morso . . . but with my stove I empty the ash pan in the morning after an overnight fire while the stove is comparatively cool . . . well . . . warm. Just be sure to use good insulated hearth gloves . . . dump into covered metal pail outside, replace ash pan and close door . . . reload.

Yes you can. But do this when the fire is in the late coaling stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.