Fisher Advertisement from 1976

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don H

Feeling the Heat
Aug 19, 2015
Maryland
Found this advertisement for Fisher Stoves in the September 1976 of The Mother Earth News magazine. I have almost all the back issues and this was the earliest TMEN add for Fisher that I found.

Scan.jpeg

Thanks for posting that! Stainless steel spring handles were being used by then, but they elected to picture them with the old solid ball.
The 3 appliances in 1 were heating, cooking and garbage burner of course. ;lol

One thing I did notice as I was looking through the later issues was that the list of dealers tripled in just a few months.
Later issues were two page ads. There was also ads for Timberline and others that were mentioned in the Fisher book.
Also nice touch with the prune juice comment :)

That's because they were sold through the front doors of the fabricators called Factory Showrooms the way Bob originally wanted the people making the stoves making the money. Demand became too much and to prevent customers from traveling so far in each state, a network of dealers and suppliers was started. Mostly businesses that wanted to supplement their sales in their slow seasons.

The prune juice comment was from making a radio ad where he and a friend was on their way to do a commercial. Bob thought of it and was dared to say it. He told about the benefits real quick in a minute commercial and added that in the end. It became an instant success. Kids would ask him if he drank any prune juice lately making the thttttttttt sound with their tongue. Bob was a special guy with a witty sense of humor.
Here's the growing list of 1977 fabricators in another ad;

Fisher dealers 1977.jpg

Very interesting! It's fun to see those old ads.

Hi, folks, new to the forum. Those ads confirm what I have suspected - I have a Grandpa Bear, heating about 1250 square feet. It sits on a stone hearth with full stonework behind it to the ceiling. Looks pretty nice. I think mine may have been purchased new for this house. The place was built in the mid-70s as a summer cabin, then added on to some unknown time later.

Status
Not open for further replies.