Fisher Baby Bear 90 Elbow

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Aug 4, 2011
virginia
I have a Fisher Baby Bear in my shop and cannot find a elbow that will fit into the rear exit. It seems that the exit is exactly 6 inches and all the pipes I can find are exactly six inches. Any ideas how I can make it work? I have all the black pipe and stainless pipe for through the roof just need to find a elbow. I had purchased a T connector and that will not fit and I purchased a black elbow from Lowes and that will not fit either. Need some advice ASAP. Thanks!

All older stoves used 6 inch OD instead of 6 inch ID that was made later to fit stove pipe.

Normally the male end was crimped down with a hand crimper until it fits. The Search feature at top right will give you many results searching the word "crimp" in this Forum.
The side of a Tee also fits over the outlet pipe and can be capped on the bottom to allow any condensate to be evaporated in the cap.

Coaly thanks for the help any idea where I can get one with the 6 inch OD?
Pipe and fittings are crimped to fit inside 6 inch ID which is found on newer stoves, but you will have 5 1/2 to 5 3/4 ID, so you need to crimp it smaller to fit. As you crimp, pry outward on the hand crimper to keep the pipe end from becoming funnel shaped. The pipe or elbow will fit fine when crimped small enough.
If you don't have a hand crimper, slide the side of a Tee OVER the stove outlet pipe. Condensate will run down the inside of pipe and Tee into the cap without going sideways to leak out at the stove connection.

P1010045.JPG

I assume you're using the type of pipe that is factory crimped at one end and not Dura-Black by Dura-vent which is heavier and formed, not crimped. I never tried to over-crimp that type, I don't think you could. That is tough stuff. It should be a regular elbow crimped on one end.

I usually take the factory crimped end and go around it again, then giving it a squeeze bend outward to keep the pipe end somewhat straight. If it needs more, go around again. The smallest diameter outlet will be a thick wall, so if the wall measures 1/4 inch, inside diameter will be 5 1/2. I never had one smaller than that. You may need someone to hold the pipe and squeeze with both hands if it doesn't crimp down far enough??

Perhaps pictures of your pipe and crimper so I know we're on the same page?

That picture is my own Mama Bear in my cabin that I used a Tee on the back. It gives a better fit, is stronger than an adjustable el, (you should be using a solid 90* elbow) and in cases where there is a very high ceiling, you can stack bricks or a non combustible support under the flat cap of a Tee. I use a Soot Eater chimney whip to clean from the top down, so I leave the dust settle after cleaning and remove cap with a bag under it to remove creosote. My stove is baffled so with an elbow I would have a much more difficult task getting the creosote out of the stove without taking the elbow off. I have no electric there for a vacuum.