Fisher Baby Bear

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 4, 2011
virginia
I have a fisher baby bear that i recently recieved. I have had a Mama Bear for the last few years in my old garage. I have built a new garage and the Mama Bear is too big so I got the baby bear. My question it is a older baby bear model with the solid ball handle. The inside of the flue is warped from years of use but the stove is in great shape. Do I need to have a new flue welded in or will I be ok with this one the way it is?

I's suggest posting some pictures so that we can make a better assessment.

pen

If you are worried about the flue it is no problem to replace wether it is top vent or back vent. The baffle and vent inside the stove will take the worst of the heat exiting the stove. If you are careful cutting out the old flue with a torch take a 6" od seamless pipe 4" long. Use a spacer and install all the new vent inside the stove but leave 1 1/2" sticking out for your pipe connection. If you leave the 1 1/2 even then all will hook up as planned. Now if you do not cut the old flue out properly you can use a 6" Id 1/4" wall pipe which was an accepted procedure. the pipe cost more but you will no longer need a double skirted adapter to hook up your stove pipe.

Welcome to the forum CamFan;
You're not getting away without an introduction though!

That may be his first post, but he's far from green. (no pun intended)

Welcome aboard the Son in Law of the Georgia Licensee / builder who built them from 1975 until the EPA closed them down. AND later bought out the Virginia licensee, the Dunn brothers.

My father in law only bought the inventory, parts etc not the business from the Dunn Brothers. But we were the last place making them to my knowledge. We waited to the last days with with the epa ruling. We could have so many stoves in inventory and had a certain amount of time to get rid of them before we had to close up shop. Believe me they checked. But you could still import junk from overseas since they were exempt. That made no sense to me at all.
Thanks for the kind words, but yes I do know a thing or two about all aspects, parts etc of the models we made.

Ah, sorry about that. Thought he bought them out while they were still in business. That makes more sense since the Dunns did so well.

So all the Virginia parts went south leaving us northerners high and dry! :coolsmirk:

There's a forum here on Hearth for "Sale and Wanted Items" you may want to post some on. I bought up the Colorado dealer's leftovers and they're almost gone. This is like fresh meat for us rabid Fisher fans, so be ready as heating season kicks in.

I did not want to step on any toes being new here. But I have loads of stuff used in manufacturing Fishers. If you do not have it ask and I may. glass, draft cap bolts, hinge pins even chrome ones. I have the early straight handles and the newer bent handles, screens, some blowers.......................it keeps going.

No problem, the only toes being stepped on is the poor guys thread being hijacked, but no one could have answered his vent collar question better. I do the same thing, if I can't get a good cut for a new thin pipe, grind it larger and use a piece of thicker wall, 6 inch well casing.
We appreciate your knowledge and experience with the stoves!

I'm working on a few questions and a Christmas list already.

Status
Not open for further replies.