FISHER DOOR SEAL QUESTION

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lissa73

Jul 7, 2014
Stratford
Hi, I am new to this but have a couple of questions about the fire in my new rental house. I have uploaded photos.... is there meant to be some sort of seals around the doors? I can not seem to turn it down at all & the sides glow red hot. Does it look ok in the photos? My insurance company has asked for photos & I am wondering if there is something wrong with it that needs attention. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 20140708_112733.jpg20140708_112804.jpgView attachment 13517920140708_112733.jpg 20140708_112804.jpg View attachment 135179

Attachments

• 20140708_112719.jpg
    20140708_112719.jpg
    223.3 KB · Views: 270
  • 20140708_112829.jpg
    20140708_112829.jpg
    220.9 KB · Views: 220
Welcome to the Forum, I'll give you your own thread;

The door seal is the iron channel iron welded to the front, no gasket material was used from factory. Make sure the center of channel is smooth and clean, and edges of channel are clean, as well as the contact area on the inside of door. It makes contact in 3 spots on the door and is considered air tight as made.

The firebrick inside protects the sheet steel from intense heat and keeps the stove hotter longer. It is missing and the stove should not be used until replaced. Not a difficult or expensive job. Using the search box at top of page in this forum will get you plenty of tips to replace it.

Here it is shown in the manual on page 13;
https://www.hearth.com/images/uploads/fischermanual.pdf

Your stove is UL listed, and most of this model should have an inside baffle plate called a "Smoke Shelf Baffle". This helps retain heat in the stove from escaping up chimney and burns many smoke particles that would have gone up the chimney. Your installation should also have a stove pipe damper installed in the first section of pipe leading out of the stove. Absolutely No glowing of stove of chimney parts should ever be visible. This is a sign of over firing. (when firebrick is installed correctly)

Thank you so much coaly.... that is very helpful. Yes the fire has the smoke shelf baffle inside & no chimney parts glow at all....just the sides where the fire bricks are missing. I will get onto this & get them installed properly. Thank you again for your help

Hi, I am new to this but have a couple of questions about the fire in my new rental house. I have uploaded photos.... is there meant to be some sort of seals around the doors? I can not seem to turn it down at all & the sides glow red hot. Does it look ok in the photos? My insurance company has asked for photos & I am wondering if there is something wrong with it that needs attention. Any help would be greatly appreciated.View attachment 135176View attachment 135178View attachment 135179View attachment 135176 View attachment 135178 View attachment 135179
there are no fire bricks inside that i see.

Status
Not open for further replies.