1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Fisher door seal rope, refurbing stove exterior

Post in 'Fisher Stove Information, Parts, History and More' started by olevet, Feb 17, 2014.

1. olevet

olevet New Member

Loc:
    South Dakota
    I just aquired a 1980 Mama Bear in very good condition, its been sitting idle in a basement for years, there is minimal rust on the exterior, and the door seal is gone, I am planning on using this to heat a little workshop on the end of my garage to do a little wood work in when I retire in 41 days, And would like to refinish it in its original condition, but dont know where to start on the exterior or what to put on it when its all cleaned up. I gave $250.00 for the stove which i`m happy with. any advise would be much appreiciated! Thanks

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. pen

pen There are some who call me...mod. Staff Member

Loc:
    N.E. Penna
    Door seal isn't gone,,,,, never was one that I have seen on any of the mama's.

But, I'll move this thread over into the fisher area where there are some folks who really know these stoves top to bottom and should be able to give you a hand.

Mama's are a solid heater.

pen
  3. olevet

olevet New Member

Loc:
    South Dakota
    Now I have received a trophy! hot great is that a reward for not knowing what i`m doing! :)
  4. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Nope. The advise was. ;lol
    olevet likes this.
  5. pen

pen There are some who call me...mod. Staff Member

Loc:
    N.E. Penna
    Naw, the reward comes once you figure this stuff out and know what you are doing is safe and follows best practice.

Trophy is just for kicks ;lol

Edit: Not to derail the thread, but congrats on the upcoming retirement!
    olevet likes this.
  6. coaly

coaly Fisher Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    NE PA
    The door seal is the 1 inch channel iron welded to stove front. Notice the raised portion on back of door mates with the flat channel, and the edges of channel iron seal on door making a three point contact. Buff with wire wheel if rusty and clean door smooth is all you need.
    Once burning, close down the air intakes to make sure it doesn't continue to burn with a flame.