Fisher draft caps stuck?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HunterDan

Dec 2, 2014
Maryland
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg I have a grandma bear that a purchased back in the spring. In getting it set up and ready to burn this year, I've noticed that the draft caps are stuck or seized shut.

I wanted to ask on here first before I started to try to mess with them.

Can I just put a socket on the outside bolt head and loosen to take them off?

No, the bolt is double nutted inside and out as well as threaded in the door. Hold the outside bolt head to prevent bolt from turning and loosen inside nut first. (if it isn't welded to door)
When installing, if you adjust the bolt head to stick out of the cap when cap is closed, it's easy to get a wrench or socket on it. If the bolt was adjusted too far into the cap it not only prevents cap from opening more turns, but requires a very thin walled socket to fit inside the cap recess.

I would spray with PB Blaster or penetrant of choice through the hole in door to get it on the bolt threads behind the cap and spray on the outside under bolt head to soak from the outside as well. It may twist loose by hand soaking overnight or longer.
When you get it moving, keep threads lubricated through hole in door behind cap with silver anti-seize or high temperature grease. Also keep the door hinge pins lubricated with the same lubricant.

If the protector behind stove is on a combustible wall, the rockboard and stone shield must have 1 inch air space and be open top and bottom to allow air circulation behind shield.
The combustible wood door casing should measure at least 36 inches from stove surface.

Got the caps freed up. Wast to bad, got them broke loose, and adjusted.

I adjusted them for 6 turns (all the way out, to all the way shut). Is that to much?

Also used some silver alum anti seize on the threads for the caps and out some on the door hinges. She's smooth and quiet now!

Thanks for all the help!

That's about right. You only need to spin them open 3 or 4 turns when starting and turn them down as it gets going.
Don't let them doors get away from you when they're juiced up. They should always move that easy !

Status
Not open for further replies.