Fisher Fireplace Insert Project

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hearth requirements are in the manual.
The 1 1/2" clearance under ash fender is the blower air intake space to prevent the slot under the Insert from obstruction.

Hearth requirements are in the manual.
The 1 1/2" clearance under ash fender is the blower air intake space to prevent the slot under the Insert from obstruction.
Yep, read those. It says "3/4" min thickness asbestos millboard or equivalent. If asbestos millboard is used, a noncombustible material such as tile or brick can be placed over it for decoration." I'm not familiar with asbestos millboard but I'm going to assume that concrete board or hardibacker board are the equivalent. If so, I'm ok, if not, someone let me know:)

The benchmark standard of 3/8" asbestos millboard is a common requirement used by many manufacturers with a k-value of 0.84. (R .45) Many materials are rated by R value (higher better) and must be converted to k, (lower better) but it doesn't look like you will be able to tell what the value of the material you have is anyway. (double k value of .84 is .42, double R value of .45 is .90 so that gives you an idea of what you need)
Thermal resistance and thermal conductivity are the different properties materials are tested by, so it's not a simple answer. Here's an article with table of common materials to give you an idea of what the value of your material is;
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/articles/k_values_what_does_it_all_mean

Mine measures 6" wide x 24 3/4" long with about 2" left for the flat mounting to the top of the insert.

Heat Deflector.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.